Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala is one of most popular paneer recipes in Indian cuisine where Paneer cubes( Indian Cottage Cheese) are simmered in a mildly rich onion tomato cashew nut based gravy and Of course with some butter and cream.
It is also known as Paneer Makhani.This curry goes very well with Indian flat breads and is a popular dish on restaurants menu.It is Keto friendly, gluten free, low carb.
CHECKOUT MY OTHER PANEER RECIPES
TIPS & VARIATIONS TO MAKE BEST PANEER BUTTER MASALA
- If using store bought paneer, soak it in hot water for 15-20 minutes before using in the recipe.
- Grind the cooked tomato onion mixture to a fine paste. You can also strain the masala through a soup strainer to get really creamy curry.
- Always add the cream at the end of cooking.
- Use nuts in the gravy , it makes the gravy thick and creamy.I have used Cashews in this recipe but almonds ,melon seeds also work
- Adding sugar balances the flavors and so you can add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar or 1 teaspoon of honey in the end.
- I usually add kitchen king masala(also available in indian grocery store) along with garam masala powder to get restaurant style flavor to the paneer recipe.
- I have added Kashmiri red chili powder to give nice red color to this dish.However if you want to make it more spicy add extra red chilli powder.
CAN I FREEZE THIS PANEER BUTTER MASALA?
YES!!!!!!! If you plan to freeze the gravy, skip adding cream and add them at last when you are ready to serve.
You can freeze this gravy in freezer safe container for 2 months. Just thaw over counter top for 3-4 hours and then heat again in a pan or microwave and add cream before serving.
WHICH CREAM TO USE FOR MAKING PANEER BUTTER MASALA?
I have used Amul cream to make paneer butter masala. You can use any whipping cream that is available in your nearest grocery store.You can also use homemade Malai (malai).
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN PANEER BUTTER MASALA?
To make Vegan paneer butter masala, you can replace paneer with tofu. Butter with any vegan butter and fresh cream with cashew cream.
IS PANEER BUTTER MASALA KETO FRIENDLY?
WHAT TO SERVE WITH PANEER BUTTER MASALA?
HOW TO MAKE RESTAURANT STYLE PANEER BUTTER MASALA STEP BY STEP
Put the onions, tomatoes, cashew nuts, ginger, garlic, whole spices and 1 cup of water into a pan and bring to a boil.
Cook on medium flame for at least 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Blend to a smooth puree/paste.
Note:You can also cook tomato onion nut mixture in Instant Pot on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK on high for 5 Minutes and Natural Pressure Release and follow same steps.
In a pan, heat the oil, butter, add the jeera and saute for 30 seconds.
Add kashmiri red chili powder, bay leaf, give a quick stir.
Then add onion-tomato pureed mixture.Close lid and cook on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
Add the paneer, kasoori methi, garam masala, kitchen king masala,salt.Mix well and bring the mixture to boil.
Finally, gently stir in the cream and paneer butter masala is ready to serve.
Serve hot with chapatti, naan, rice and onion slices.
RESTAURANT STYLE PANEER BUTTER MASALA RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala
- measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 200 grams Paneer (cottage cheese),cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup Cashewnuts OR 18-20 Cashewnuts
- 2 Green cardamoms
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1-2 bayleaf
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder or use kitchen king masala
- 2-3 tbsp fresh cream(full fat)
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp Cumin/Jeera seeds
- 2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder (i used everest kashmiri lal brand)
- 1.5 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 cup water
- Put the onions,tomatoes,cashew nuts,ginger, garlic,spices and 1 cup of water into a pan and bring to a boil.
- Cook on medium flame for at least 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Blend to a smooth puree/paste.
- In a pan, heat the oil,butter,add the jeera and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add kashmiri red chili powder,bay leaf,give a quick stir.
- Then add onion-tomato pureed mixture.Close lid and cook on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the paneer, kasoori methi,garam masala,salt.Mix well and bring the mixture to boil.
- Finally, gently stir in the cream and paneer butter masala is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with chapatti, naan,rice and onion slices.
2.If you think gravy is too thick add water or milk accordingly.
3.Adding fresh cream gives a rich taste to the gravy ,incase you do not have cream at home then replace with 1/4 cup of full fat milk.
4.You can also shallow fry paneer and add to the gravy. 5.You can also cook tomato onion nut mixture in Instant Pot on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK on high for 5 Minutes and Natural Pressure Release and follow same steps. Note:Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.