Steaming Idlis in Instant Pot
Idli, a round shaped steamed rice-lentil cake,is one of the healthiest breakfast item of Indian Cuisine and staple food of south indians.
The cakes are made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils(urad dal) and rice.You can also buy idli batter in the Indian grocery stores too.
Today in this recipe i have used Rava Idli Instant Dry Mix(MTR Brand) which is available in indian store and amazon as well.You can use any brand.
Steaming Idlis in Instant Pot Recipe Card
- Rice Idli OR Rava Idli Batter
- 1.5 cups Water
- Grease your idly plates with oil or ghee,Pour idly batter into the idly plates/moulds.Do not over do.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the Instant pot.
- Place the idli stand in to the Instant pot. Close lid and keep in VENTING position and turn on 'STEAM' mode.
- Steam the idli trays in the IP for 10-12 mins.Note:Timer on the instant pot does not work in the venting position, so you have to monitor time with a separate timer.
- Check the idlis by piercing a toothpick in it. If the tooth pick comes out clean, the idlis are done.
- Remove idli's from the moulds. Serve hot, with coconut chutney and sambhar.
- 1.You can follow same procedure to steam different variety of idli like rice idli,rava idli,oats idli etc
- 2.If your idlis are still uncooked then do not worry, steam for another 2 minutes.