Idli is a steamed lentil and rice cake and traditional SouthIndian breakfast served with sambar and chutney.
Idli is steamed food so its always safe and good to pack for lunch if your kid prefers breakfast items for lunch.Todays lunchbox recipe is Lemon Idli requires minimal ingredients and can be made in 5 minutes if you have cooked idlies ready.I pack idli atleast once a week either podi idli, idli with any chutney or lemon idli.This idli version is toddler-friendly; it doesn’t contain anything spices ,coriander or curry leaves.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #12 – Lemon Idli + Yogurt + Strawberry
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Spinach Coin Dosa + Peanut Chutney + Pineapple
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Avocado Parathas + Beetroot Kurma + Mini Pretzels
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Lemon Idli – a toddler-friendly and kids recipe. Quick and Healthy breakfast option for school going kids and toddlers.
- Prepare mini idlies first.
- Then heat a tbsp of ghee or oil in a non-stick kadai and in low flame.I prefer ghee it gives a unique flavor.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.Add a pinch of hing (asafoetida), turmeric powder and salt.
- Add 12-15 mini idlies ,squeeze in the lemon and toss well in medium flame for a minute .Switch off the flame.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.Garnish with coriander (cilantro).
SNACK – Yogurt/Curd – Pack this in a separate container with leak proof lid.Add a few teaspoon of milk to yogurt raita can help it not turning sour by lunch time.
SNACK – Strawberry – Wash the strawberries before packing into the box.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- The Idly batter should be prepared the previous evening and set to ferment overnight.
- Add a few teaspoon of milk to yogurt raita can help it not turning sour by lunch time.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.