Idli is a steamed lentil and rice cake and traditional South Indian breakfast served with sambar and chutney.
Idli is steamed food so it's always safe and good to pack for lunch if your kid prefers breakfast items for lunch. Today's lunchbox recipe is Lemon Idli requires minimal ingredients and can be made in 5 minutes if you have cooked idli's ready. I pack idli at least once a week either podi idli, idli with any chutney, or lemon idli. This idli version is toddler-friendly; it doesn’t contain anything spices, coriander, or curry leaves.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #12 - Lemon Idli + Yogurt + Strawberry
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Spinach Coin Dosa + Peanut Chutney + Pineapple
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Avocado Parathas + Beetroot Kurma + Mini Pretzels
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Lemon Idli - a toddler-friendly and kids recipe. Quick and Healthy breakfast option for school-going, kids, and toddlers.
Lemon Idli For Kids
Measuring cup (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 12-15 mini idlies or 4 large idlis
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- a pinch hing (asafoetida)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- juice of half lemon
- curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- Prepare mini idlies first.
- Then heat a tablespoon of ghee or oil in a non-stick kadai and in low flame.I prefer ghee it gives a unique flavor.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.Add a pinch of hing (asafoetida), turmeric powder and salt.
- Add 12-15 mini idlies ,squeeze in the lemon and toss well in medium flame for a minute .Switch off the flame.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.Garnish with coriander (cilantro).
- If you dont have a mini idli stand, then make regular-sized idli and cut it into strips or cubes.
- If you squeeze the lemon into the oil before adding mini idli, the oil may spurt.
- You can add some onion, saute them till they turn light brown into this recipe.
- You can also add some cashews while sauting.
- You can use leftover idlis. If using from the fridge then microwave or steam it or cover and cook it after adding in the masala.
SNACK - Yogurt/Curd - Pack this in a separate container with a leak-proof lid. Add a few teaspoons of milk to yogurt raita can help it not turn sour by lunchtime.
SNACK - Strawberry - Wash the strawberries before packing them into the box.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- The Idly batter should be prepared the previous evening and set to ferment overnight.
- Add a few teaspoons of milk to yogurt raita can help it not turn sour by lunchtime.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free, and easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes for your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you If you make this recipe, please share your food photo with hashtag #indianveggiedelight on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and others can enjoy it too! Thank you ♥
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.
Leave a Reply