Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #15 – Spinach Idly + Peanut Chutney + Potato Chips
Some Spinach kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Spinach Coin Dosa + Peanut Chutney + Pineapple
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Spinach Idly – This Healthy Spinach Idli Recipe, Steamed Spinach Rice Cake is rich in protein, light, simple and a healthy breakfast.
- 1 cup Idli Batter
- 1/2 cup Spinach Puree (made from 2.5 cups of raw spinach) (i dint blanch palak in this recipe)
- 2 tbsp shredded carrot (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil for greasing idli pan
Take 2.5 cups of spinach (palak) and blend in a mixer grinder with 2 tbsp of water to make a fine paste and keep aside.
Add the ground paste to 1 cup of of idly batter and mix well.Adjust salt at this stage
Make sure the spinach paste is well incorporated.Make sure batter should be thick flowing consistency and not running.
Grease the idli molds in idli steamer using oil, add some shredded carrot and then on top put a spoonful of the batter into idli molds and steam for 10 to 12 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
Cool a bit and de-mould the steamed spinach idly with the help of spoon or smooth side of a knife.
Serve Healthy Spinach/Palak Idli with Peanut Chutney or Onion Chutney or Coconut chutney for a nice combination for breakfast.
- In this recipe i dint blanch the spinach/palak but you can do it as well.
- Make sure your dosa batter should be little thick ,after adding spinach puree it may become more watery in consistency.
- Make sure the dosa batter is not cold.
- You can also add 1 green chilli and 1 tbsp of coriander leaves while grinding spinach to give more flavor.
- You can use this batter to make dosas as well.
SNACK – Peanut ChutneyI followed recipe from here
SNACK – Potato Chips I used Pringles brand chips which are potato and wheat-based stackable snack.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- The idly batter should be prepared the previous evening and set to ferment overnight.
- Dry Roast Peanuts previous evening and store it.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.