Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #16 - Zucchini Carrot Paratha + Boondi Raita + Dates
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Zucchini Carrot Paratha - Please find the detailed Zucchini Carrot Partha Recipe here.
Zucchini Carrot Paratha
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 1 cup whole wheat or multigrain flour
- ½ cup green zucchini grated
- ½ cup carrot grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carrom seeds)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee to make parathas
- salt to taste
- Grate the carrot and zucchini.Squeeze the water from zucchini and reserve water to knead dough or for curry.
- In a bowl add grated zucchini, carrot , coriander leaves, ajwain,red chilli powder,garam masala, turmeric powder, ginger , wheat flour and salt. Mix well.
- Zucchini will ooze out some water hence be careful while adding extra water and make a smooth (but not sticky) dough. Smear little oil on the dough and let it rest for only 5 mins.Do not rest it for more time, dough becomes very soft.
- Make balls from the dough. I was able to get 6 balls.
- Roll the parathas semi thick/ thin by dusting some dry flour.
- Heat up a tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook.Once you see bubbles ,flip on to other side drizzle some ghee or oil on top.
- Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side as well till they have nice golden spots on both sides.
- Serve zucchini carrot paratha with curd, pickle, raita ,ketchup or any gravy of your choice.
- If you are vegan, then skip ghee and use any cooking oil.
- You can also add some chopped mint and amchur powder (dry mango powder) for extra flavor.
- Do not skip removing excess water from grated zucchini.
- Zucchini can be replaced with radish or bottle gourd.
- Use 1-2 tbsp of extra flour if the dough becomes soft.
SNACK - Boondi Raita
To one cup of whisked curd add ¼ tsp of pepper powder, ¼ tsp of red chilli powder, ½ tsp roasted cumin (jeera) powder and salt to taste.Then add ½ cup of boondi ,mix well and set aside for 20 minutes [for the boondi to soak].For Lunch box i usually dont soak prior because it gets soggy and i just add boondi on top and you can ask your kid to mix before eating.
SNACK - Dates I use organic dates available in Costco, these are rich in protein, iron, vitamins .
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can grate zucchini and carrot in the night .Do not prepare dough in the night, zucchini leaves water ,dough becomes very soft and rolling will be very difficult.so prepare the dough fresh in the morning.
- Add a few teaspoon of milk to yogurt raita can help it not turning sour by lunch time.
- Squeeze the shredded zucchini before preparing dough and keep it aside. (Reserve the water for making dough or use it for any curries).
- Immediately start making the paratha after the dough is prepared.If you leave it for sometime, it will ooze out more water and will be difficult in rolling.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.