Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #16 - Zucchini Carrot Paratha + Boondi Raita + Dates
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Zucchini Carrot Paratha - Please find the detailed Zucchini Carrot Partha Recipe here.
Zucchini Carrot Paratha
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 1 cup whole wheat or multigrain flour
- ½ cup green zucchini grated
- ½ cup carrot grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carrom seeds)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee to make parathas
- salt to taste
- Grate the carrot and zucchini. Squeeze the water from zucchini and reserve water to knead dough or for a curry.
- In a bowl add grated zucchini, carrot, coriander leaves, ajwain, red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, ginger, wheat flour, and salt. Mix well.
- Zucchini will ooze out some water hence be careful while adding extra water and make a smooth (but not sticky) dough. Smear little oil on the dough and let it rest for only 5 mins. Do not rest it for more time, the dough becomes very soft.
- Make balls from the dough. I was able to get six balls.
- Roll the parathas semi-thick/ thin by dusting them with some dry flour.
- Heat a Tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook. Once you see bubbles, flip onto the other side and drizzle some ghee or oil on top.
- Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side as well till they have nice golden spots on both sides.
- Serve zucchini carrot paratha with curd, pickle, raita ,ketchup or any gravy of your choice.
- If you are vegan, then skip ghee and use any cooking oil.
- You can also add some chopped mint and amchur powder (dry mango powder) for extra flavor.
- Do not skip removing excess water from grated zucchini.
- Zucchini can be replaced with radish or bottle gourd.
- Use 1-2 tablespoon of extra flour if the dough becomes soft.
SNACK - Boondi Raita
To one cup of whisked curd add ¼ teaspoon of pepper powder, ¼ teaspoon of red chili powder, ½ teaspoon roasted cumin (jeera) powder, and salt to taste. Then add ½ cup of boondi, mix well and set aside for 20 minutes [for the boondi to soak]. For the Lunch box I usually dont soak prior because it gets soggy and I just add boondi on top and you can ask your kid to mix before eating.
SNACK - Dates I use organic dates available in Costco, these are rich in protein, iron, and vitamins.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can grate zucchini and carrot at the night. Do not prepare the dough at the night, zucchini leaves the water, the dough becomes very soft and rolling will be very difficult. So prepare the dough fresh in the morning.
- Add a few teaspoons of milk to yogurt raita can help it not turn sour by lunchtime.
- Squeeze the shredded zucchini before preparing the dough and keep it aside. (Reserve the water for making dough or use it for any curries).
- Immediately start making the paratha after the dough is prepared. If you leave it for some time, it will ooze out more water and will be difficult in rolling.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, and BPA-Free, and easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.