Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #19 – Methi Paratha + Ketchup + Moong Sprouts & Pomegranate Salad + Dates
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Methi Paratha – Here is the detailed Recipe Link
- Pluck the methi leaves and measure about 1 cup. Take large vessel filled with water. Soak fenugreek leaves in the water for 10-15 minutes. So all the dirt will settle down at the bottom and leaves will float on top. Now take out only leaves and lightly squeeze out the water. Then chop the methi leaves yields 1/2 cup .
- In a bowl add finely chopped methi leaves , ajwain, red chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, wheat flour ,oil and salt. Mix well.
- Add some water and keep kneading till you get the smooth dough. Dough should be tight and firm (not soft). DO NOT ADD ANY EXTRA WATER. Moisture from the methi leaves are enough to make the dough.
- Make balls from the dough. I was able to get 6 balls.
- Roll the parathas semi thick/ thin by dusting some dry flour.
- Heat up a tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook.Once you see bubbles ,flip on to other side drizzle some ghee or oil on top.
- Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side as well till they have nice golden spots on both sides.
- Serve methi paratha with curd, pickle, raita ,ketchup or any gravy of your choice.
SNACK – Tomato Ketchup –few squeezes for dipping.
SNACK – Moong Sprouts & Pomegranate Salad- This is a very simple ,healthy and colorful salad.I have steamed/boiled sprouted moong for 5 minutes till they are little soft.Drain the water and added pomegranate arils , limejuice ,salt ,pepper.thats it.
SNACK – Dates – Also known as Khajoor are very nutritious and rich in iron.I have used pitted dates (de-seeded).
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can prepare dough in the night and refrigerate in airtight container.
- The sprouts need about a day’s time to get ready. Soak the whole green moong for 4-6 hours. Drain the water , cover with a moist muslin cloth and set aside to sprout.
- Keep a cup of pomegranate arils ready for the salad.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- For the soft chapati, it is important to cover the dough and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.