Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #22 – Capsicum Rice + Yogurt + Protein Bar
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Tomato Rice using Coconut Milk + Carrot Raita + Red Grapes
- Zucchini Carrot Paratha + Boondi Raita + Dates
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Avocado Parathas + Beetroot Kurma + Mini Pretzels
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Capsicum Rice – Here the Recipe Link .
- Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
For Vangibath/Masala Powder
- 4 teaspoons Split Black gram/Urad Dal
- 4 teaspoons Bengal Gram/Chana Dal
- 4 teaspoons Coriander Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek/Methi seeds
- 1 “ 2-3 Cinnamon/ dalchini – pieces
- 8 Cloves/ Lavang
- 2 teaspoon Dry Coconut ( optional )
- 12 – 14 nos Dry Red Chillis Guntur + byadgi mixed-for color n spice
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2.5 cups cooked rice (any variety)
- 1/4 cup sliced onions (optional)
- 1.5 cups ,mixed bell pepper/capsicum you can add or reduce quantity based on personal preference
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon split urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon jeera/cumin powder
- a pinch hing/asafoetida
- 1 spring Curry Leaves
- 1/4 cup tamarind water (lemon sized )
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery
For Vangibath/Masala Powder
- Add teaspoon of oil,roast chana dal and dry red chilled for 4-5 minutes till chillies puff up.
- Then add remaining ingredients except coconut and saute until they turn brown ,roughly takes 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add dry coconut and mix well.(coconut gets roasted in the heat)
- Cool the contents and blend them to a smooth powder.
- Store in a air tight container.
For Capsicum Rice
- Add oil in a kadai,when its hot add mustard seeds,urad dal,jeera,hing,curry leaves and saute.
- Then add onions,bell pepper/capsicum and cook until they turn soft .
- After that add tamarind water,prepared vangibath/masala powder ,jaggery and mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes (until oil leaves kadai)
- Add cooked rice ,salt and corainder leaves and mix well.
- Close lid and cook for another 3-4 minutes and finally garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with raita .
You can also plus or minus the cloves and cinnamon quantity depending on your preference.
Make vangibath powder in small quantities, so you can retain its freshness and flavor.
You can store the vangibath powder for many months. It may, however, lose its flavor after about 2 months.
SNACK – Yogurt/Curd – Pack this in a separate container with leak proof lid.Add a few teaspoon of milk to yogurt can help it not turning sour by lunch time.
SNACK – Protein Bar – I just packed a store brought protein bar .You can replace with any mixed nuts or any other brand of protein bar.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- Cut colored bell pepper (capsicum) previous night to save some time for the morning.
- Add a few teaspoon of milk to yogurt can help it not turning sour by lunch time.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.