Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #22 - Capsicum Rice + Yogurt + Protein Bar
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Tomato Rice using Coconut Milk + Carrot Raita + Red Grapes
- Zucchini Carrot Paratha + Boondi Raita + Dates
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Avocado Parathas + Beetroot Kurma + Mini Pretzels
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Capsicum Rice - Here the Recipe Link for easy Capsicum Rice
Capsicum Rice|Capsicum Masala Rice|Bell Pepper Rice Recipe
- Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
For Vangibath/Masala Powder
- 2.5 cups cooked rice (any variety)
- ¼ cup sliced onions (optional)
- 1.5 cups mixed bell pepper/capsicum you can add or reduce quantity based on personal preference
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon split urad dal
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin powder
- a pinch hing/asafoetida
- 1 stalk Curry Leaves
- ¼ cup tamarind water (lemon sized )
- ½ teaspoon jaggery
- salt to taste
For Vangibath/Masala Powder
- Add teaspoon of oil,roast chana dal and dry red chilled for 4-5 minutes till chillies puff up.
- Then add remaining ingredients except coconut and saute until they turn brown ,roughly takes 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add dry coconut and mix well.(coconut gets roasted in the heat)
- Cool the contents and blend them to a smooth powder.
- Store in a air tight container.
For Capsicum Rice
- Add oil in a kadai,when its hot add mustard seeds,urad dal,jeera,hing,curry leaves and saute.
- Then add onions,bell pepper/capsicum and cook until they turn soft .
- After that add tamarind water,prepared vangibath/masala powder ,jaggery and mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes (until oil leaves kadai)
- Add cooked rice ,salt and corainder leaves and mix well.
- Close lid and cook for another 3-4 minutes and finally garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with raita .
- If you want, you can omit dry coconut .This further increases shelf life . You can add at the time of making vangi bath.
- You can also plus or minus the cloves and cinnamon quantity depending on your preference.
- Make vangibath powder in small quantities, so you can retain its freshness and flavor.
- You can store the vangibath powder for many months. It may, however, lose its flavor after about 2 months.
SNACK - Yogurt/Curd - Pack this in a separate container with leak proof lid.Add a few teaspoon of milk to yogurt can help it not turning sour by lunch time.
SNACK - Protein Bar - I just packed a store brought protein bar .You can replace with any mixed nuts or any other brand of protein bar.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- Cut colored bell pepper (capsicum) previous night to save some time for the morning.
- Add a few teaspoon of milk to yogurt can help it not turning sour by lunch time.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.