Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #22 - Capsicum Rice + Yogurt + Protein Bar
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Tomato Rice using Coconut Milk + Carrot Raita + Red Grapes
- Zucchini Carrot Paratha + Boondi Raita + Dates
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Avocado Parathas + Beetroot Kurma + Mini Pretzels
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Capsicum Rice - Here is the recipe link for easy Capsicum Rice
Capsicum Rice|Capsicum Masala Rice
- Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
For Vangibath/Masala Powder
- 4 teaspoons Split Black gram/Urad Dal
- 4 teaspoons Bengal Gram/Chana Dal
- 4 teaspoons Coriander Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek/Methi seeds
- 1 inch 2-3 Cinnamon/ dalchini pieces
- 8 Cloves/ Lavang
- 2 teaspoon Dry Coconut ( optional )
- 12 - 14 Dry Red Chillis Guntur + byadgi mixed-for color n spice
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2.5 cups cooked rice (any variety)
- ¼ cup sliced onions (optional)
- 1.5 cups mixed bell pepper/capsicum you can add or reduce quantity based on personal preference
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon split urad dal
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin powder
- a pinch hing/asafoetida
- 1 stalk curry Leaves
- ¼ cup tamarind water (lemon sized )
- ½ teaspoon jaggery
- salt to taste
For Vangibath/Masala Powder
- Add teaspoon of oil, roast chana dal and dry red chilled for 4-5 minutes till chillies puff up.
- Then add remaining ingredients except coconut and saute until they turn brown, roughly takes 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add dry coconut and mix well. (coconut gets roasted in the heat)
- Cool the contents and blend them to a smooth powder.
- Store in a air tight container.
For Capsicum Rice
- Add oil in a kadai, when its hot add mustard seeds, urad dal, jeera, hing, curry leaves and saute.
- Then add onions, bell pepper/capsicum and cook until they turn soft .
- After that add tamarind water, prepared vangibath/masala powder, jaggery and mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes (until oil leaves kadai)
- Add cooked rice, salt and corainder leaves and mix well.
- Close lid and cook for another 3-4 minutes and finally garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with raita .
- If you want, you can omit dry coconut. This further increases shelf life. You can add at the time of making vangi bath.
- Depending on your preference, you can also plus or minus the cloves and cinnamon quantity.
- Make vangibath powder in small quantities, so you can retain its freshness and flavor.
- You can store the vangibath powder for many months. It may, however, lose its flavor after about 2 months.
SNACK - Yogurt/Curd - Pack this in a separate container with leak proof lid. Adding a few teaspoons of milk to yogurt can help it not turn sour by lunchtime.
SNACK - Protein Bar - I just packed a store brought protein bar. You can replace it with any mixed nuts or any other brand of protein bar.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- Cut colored bell pepper (capsicum) the previous night to save some time for the morning.
- Adding a few teaspoons of milk to yogurt can help it not turn sour by lunchtime.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you If you make this recipe, please share your food photo with hashtag #indianveggiedelight on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and others can enjoy it too! Thank you ♥
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.
Leave a Reply