Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #24 - Coconut Rice + Masala Corn + Blueberries & Black Dry Grapes
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Lemon Idli + Yogurt + Strawberry
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Veg Vermicelli Upma + Peanut Sundal + Mango
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Pineapple Fried Rice + Fryums + Blueberries
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Coconut Rice - Here’s the detailed Coconut Rice Recipe Link.
Coconut Rice (Thengai Sadam)
- Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 1.5 cup cooked rice (any kind of rice)
- ½ cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen)
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 1 broken red chilies optional
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 1 teaspoon split urad dal
- a few curry leaves
- a few cashew nuts or peanuts
- a pinch asafoetida(hing) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil ghee or any oil
- salt as needed
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil/ghee in a Kadai. Add mustard, cumin seeds, dals, red chili, hing saute for 1 minute till dals turn light brown.
- Add cashew nuts, green chilies, curry leaves, ginger. Saute for another 1 minute.
- Then add freshly grated coconut, salt & saute it for 1-2 minutes.
- Once cooked, add cooked rice and adjust salt, mix well and turn off the flame.
- Coconut Rice is Ready & serve hot with raita.
- I have prepared this dish using freshly grated coconut but you can also use frozen shredded coconut. Just thaw before using.
- You can increase or decrease grated coconut for this recipe according to your preference and liking.
- You can replace peanuts with cashews in this recipe.
- For gluten-free, skip asafetida.
SNACK - Masala Corn - This spicy and tangy chaat can be prepared for your loved ones in under 20 minutes.
- Boil the sweet corns in water over medium flame in a deep-bottomed pan. Add some salt in it, and when done, switch off the burner.
- Next, put a pan on medium flame and melt butter in it. Then add the boiled corns along with garam masala powder, chaat masala red chili powder and salt as per your taste. Saute the ingredients for about 2-3 minutes .
- The corns will turn light brown in color. Once cooked, turn off the flame and add lime juice, mix well and serve hot!
SNACK - Blueberries & Black Dry Grapes - I mixed blueberries with dry grapes because my daughter likes this combo.
PREP WORK FOR THE PREVIOUS EVENING
- You can grate fresh coconut the previous night and refrigerate it in an air-tight container. If you do not have time you can use frozen shredded coconut as well for this recipe.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.