KIDS LUNCH BOX #3 - Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittella
I am sure there are a lot of parents out there looking for quick, healthy meal ideas for their kids lunch box. So, I’ve decided to start a weekly series where I share some of the meals I’ve been feeding my daughter Dhwani.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
Carrot Rice is a healthy recipe that you can prepare for your loved ones on lazy weekends or for lunch box for both kids as well as adults as it is an easy-to-make recipe which can be made within minutes.Carrots are a particularly good source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, potassium and antioxidants.Carrots have a number of health benefits.
- Keep eyesight sharp: Vitamin A protects ocular health.
- Strengthen the immune system: Vitamin A also helps cells grow.
- Promote regularity: The fiber fills you up and contributes to good digestion and absorption.
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Tomato Rice using Coconut Milk + Carrot Raita + Red Grapes
- Chole Paratha + Onion Raita + Mixed Fruits
- Broccoli Paneer Paratha + Pistachios & Raisins + Veggie Straws
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Carrot Rice - Simple, healthy, delicious & quick carrot rice recipe for the busy days. To make Carrot Rice (Click on the highlighted link to get the detailed carrot rice recipe) .I followed same recipe but made half of this recipe which is good for 1 person .
Carrot Rice Recipe
- measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice or any rice
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ½ cup onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup boiled green peas
- 2-3 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- ½ teaspoon chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- few Curry leaves
- few Cashew nuts
- a pinch asafetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon oil/ghee
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil/ghee in a kadai. Add whole spices ,mustard and cumin seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds start spluttering add green chillies ,curry leaves and hing(asafetida).Saute for few seconds.
- Next add onions, minced ginger and garlic.Saute till onions are light brown in color.Then add green peas ,grated carrot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- And then add turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala, sambar powder and salt.Cook for another minute.
- Add cooked rice ,mix it well and turn off the gas.
- Garnish it with Coriander leaves & serve hot with raita.
- You can also use sweet corn instead of peas.
- You can skip sambhar powder and add extra ½ teaspoon of jeera and coriander powder each OR add more garam masala or pav bhaji masala or bisibelebath powder for variation.
- You can also add finely chopped carrot instead of grated carrot.
- Substitute white rice with brown rice ,quinoa or millets .
Snack - Cucumber - Star shapped cucumber slices.Peel cucumber and cut in to round slices then using a star shapped cookie cutter cut into star shape.Note: Taste cucumber before packing into the box sometimes cucumber can be bitter.
Snack - Fruittelas - Sometimes i like to pack some candies or chewy sweets like fruittelas as some surprise treats
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
1. Remove the peel and grate 1 large carrot about [½ cup] and refrigerate in an air tight container.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.