KIDS LUNCH BOX #3 - Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittella
I am sure there are a lot of parents out there looking for quick, healthy meal ideas for their kids lunch box. So, I’ve decided to start a weekly series where I share some of the meals I’ve been feeding my daughter Dhwani.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
Carrot Rice is a healthy recipe that you can prepare for your loved ones on lazy weekends or for lunch box for both kids as well as adults as it is an easy-to-make recipe which can be made within minutes.Carrots are a particularly good source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, potassium and antioxidants.Carrots have a number of health benefits.
- Keep eyesight sharp: Vitamin A protects ocular health.
- Strengthen the immune system: Vitamin A also helps cells grow.
- Promote regularity: The fiber fills you up and contributes to good digestion and absorption.
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Tomato Rice using Coconut Milk + Carrot Raita + Red Grapes
- Chole Paratha + Onion Raita + Mixed Fruits
- Broccoli Paneer Paratha + Pistachios & Raisins + Veggie Straws
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Carrot Rice - Simple, healthy, delicious & quick carrot rice recipe for busy days. To make Carrot Rice (Click on the highlighted link to get the detailed carrot rice recipe). I followed the same recipe but made half of this recipe which is good for 1 person.
Carrot Rice Recipe
- measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice or any rice
- 1 cup carrot grated
- ½ cup onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup boiled green peas
- 2-3 green chillies slit lengthwise
- ½ teaspoon garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
- few curry leaves
- few cashew nuts
- a pinch asafetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil/ghee in a kadai. Add whole spices ,mustard and cumin seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds start spluttering add green chillies ,curry leaves and hing(asafetida).Saute for few seconds.
- Next add onions, minced ginger and garlic.Saute till onions are light brown in color.Then add green peas, grated carrot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- And then add turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala, sambar powder and salt. Cook for another minute.
- Add cooked rice, mix it well and turn off the gas.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves & serve hot with raita.
- You can also use sweet corn instead of peas.
- You can skip sambhar powder and add an extra ½ teaspoon of jeera and coriander powder each OR add more garam masala or pav bhaji masala or Bisi Bele bath powder for variation.
- You can also add finely chopped carrot instead of grated carrot.
- Substitute white rice with brown rice, quinoa, or millets.
Snack - Cucumber - Star-shaped cucumber slices. Peel the cucumber and cut it into round slices then using a star-shaped cookie cutter cut it into a star shape. Note: Taste cucumber before packing into the box sometimes cucumber can be bitter.
Snack - Fruittelas - Sometimes I like to pack some candies or chewy sweets like fruittelas as some surprise treats
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
1. Remove the peel and grate 1 large carrot about [½ cup] and refrigerate in an air-tight container.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.