Mushroom Biryani is simple, tasty, and healthy and takes less time to prepare since there is less chopping involved for the busy mornings. I pack this for Dhwani and my lunchbox, however, I make it less spicy. I always use organic mushrooms and they are loaded with vitamins and minerals and a good way to sneak into your diet. I also paired with some yogurt and cucumber, they help in soothing if your child feels the heat.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #33 – Mushroom Biryani & Yogurt + Besan Ladoo + Cucumber
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Drumstick Leaves Paratha + Aloo Gobi + Mixed Nuts
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Beetroot Rice + Yogurt + Dates and Nut Ladoo + Cherries
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Mushroom Biryani & Yogurt – Here is the Recipe Link.
You can adjust spices for this Mushroom rice according to your child's preference and also I have paired it with some yogurt in case they feel the heat. In case you dont want large mushroom chunks, chop them small.
Mushroom Biryani Recipe
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups white mushroom (about 6 oz) (add more if desired)
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- ¼ cup yogurt (curd) OR Coconut Milk (vegans can use dairy free yogurt)
- ¼ cup mint (pudina)
- 2 tablespoon cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 1.5 cups water (depends on the quality of the rice)
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (optional)
- 1.5 teaspoon biryani masala (or Garam Masala Powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1 star anise (optional)
Instant Pot Method:
- Firstly, press SAUTE on Instant Pot. Next, add oil, and once it's hot, add whole spices like cumin, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom, and cloves.
- Once they sizzle, add ginger garlic paste and saute for 30 secs.
- Then add sliced onions and green chilies, saute for 2-3 minutes until onions turn light brown - stir regularly.
- Next, add tomatoes and saute for a minute till they become soft.
- Add dry spices like turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, and biryani powder, and saute for just 30 seconds. Make sure spices don't burn.
- Then add yogurt and mix everything. Also, deglaze the pot. If anything is stuck to the bottom of the pot, scrape it so no burnt bits should be at the bottom.Add the sliced mushrooms and mix again gently.
- Add rinsed basmati rice, water, salt, and give a stir. Sprinkle some mint and coriander leaves and mix.
- Close the lid on the pot. Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set the timer to 5 minutes.
- Once the pot beeps, Wait for NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE (NPR).
- Restaurant Style Mushroom Biryani is ready to serve with Onion Raita or plain yogurt.
Indian Pressure Cooker Method:
- Follow all the steps as mentioned above for the Instant Pot recipe till STEP 7, then close the pressure cooker lid and cook for 2 whistles on medium flame.
- Let the pressure release naturally and fluff with a fork.
- Mushroom Biryani in pressure cooker is ready to serve with Onion Raita or plain yogurt.
- Follow all the steps as mentioned above for the Instant Pot recipe till STEP 7, Then close with a lid and cook on medium-low flame for 10 to 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked through. Remove lid and fluff the rice with a fork. NOTE: Add an extra ½ cup of water when cooking in a POT.
- Stove-Top Mushroom Biryani is ready to serve with Onion Raita or plain yogurt.
- Vegan: you can skip yogurt and add 1 tablespoon of lime juice or 1 extra tomato. You may also replace yogurt with thick coconut milk.
- Biryani masala powder: You can find biryani masala in any Indian grocery store or on amazon. You can use any brand. If you don't get biryani powder, replace it with the same quality of garam masala powder.
- Mushrooms: If you love mushrooms and want a biryani packed with them, double the quantity of mushrooms. I have used 6 oz here, you can easily increase it.
- Cutting Mushrooms: Dice the mushrooms into big pieces for this recipe. Small pieces may be pressure-cooked easily and may turn mushy.
- Quick Release: You can do a QR Release (QR) if you don’t have time and then open the lid.
- Spices: Increase or decrease spices accordingly to your preference.
- Fried Onions: You can add fried onions on top before serving.
SNACK – Besan Ladoo - These ladoo's were sent by my mom from India.
SNACK – Cucumber– I wash and cut them into circles or sticks before packing them into the lunch box.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can prepare besan laddo's before and these can be stored up to 2-3 weeks outside at room temperature. These are healthy and tasty.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you If you make this recipe, please share your food photo with hashtag #indianveggiedelight on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and others can enjoy it too! Thank you ♥
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.
Leave a Reply