KIDS LUNCH BOX #36 – Peanut Rice + Carrot & Cucumber sticks + Chocolate Makhana
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Drumstick Leaves Paratha + Aloo Gobi + Mixed Nuts
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Beetroot Rice + Yogurt + Dates and Nut Ladoo + Cherries
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Peanut Rice – Here is the detailed Recipe Link for Peanut Rice
You can adjust spices for this peanut rice according to your child’s preference and also you can pair it with some yogurt in case they feel the heat. You can also make peanut tempering with ghee for kids. You can replace rice with quinoa.
Peanut Rice Recipe
- In a pan take 1 teaspoon of oil and roast peanuts, urad dal, chana dal, sesame seeds, dried red chilies, and curry leaves on medium-low flame till dals turn aromatic and roasted well.
- Then add coconut and roast for another minute.
- Take it off the pan, cool completely and, grind it all together to a fine powder without adding any water. Keep aside.
- Now in a large Kadai heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add peanuts, mustard seeds, and urad dal, and saute till peanuts are roasted well.
- Then add curry leaves, jeera, and hing (asafetida) and saute for another 30 secs.
- Then add cooked rice along with the finely ground peanut powder, salt and give it a mix.
- Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes or till rice absorbs flavor completely.
- Peanut or groundnut Rice is ready and serve warm along with some papad and yogurt.
- The rice has to be cooled before preparing this recipe. Leftover rice works best and quickly.
- If you dont have coconut, you can skip it.
- While grinding peanut lentil powder does not grind too much, peanuts release oil and powder becomes like a paste.
- Peanut powder can be made in bulk and can be refrigerated for up to 2-3 in a refrigerator.
- You can also add roasted cashews along with peanuts while tempering rice.
- If you are a Vegan replace ghee with oil.
- Peanut Rice tastes great when prepared slightly spicy.
SNACK – Carrot & Cucumber sticks – I have peeled skin of carrot and cucumber and cut them into sticks.
SNACK – Chocolate Makhana – Here is the Recipe Link
Looking for more makhana recipes? Check Makhana Recipes from my blog.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can also make peanut-lentil powder previous night and store it in refrigerator to save some time in the morning.
- You can prepare chocolate makhanas previous day.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.