Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #41 – Curd Rice + Apple + French Macaroon
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Curd Rice – Here is the detailed Recipe Link for Curd Rice.
Curd Rice Recipe (Thayir Saddam)
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- Firstly, rinse the rice 2-3 times until the water runs clear (removes extra starch), and drain the remaining water.
- In a Traditional Stovetop Pressure Cooker: Pressure cook ½ cup of rice with 1.5 cups of water for 4-5 whistles on medium-low heat. Let the pressure release naturally. The cooked rice should be softer than we cook regularly.In Instant Pot (Electric Pressure Cooker): Pressure cook ½ cup of rice with 1 ½ cups of water on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) for 6 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.On Stovetop Pot: Cook ½ cup of rice with 1 ½ cups of water on medium-low heat until cooked, and let it cool a bit.
Prepare the Cooked Rice
- When the pressure releases naturally, mash the rice well with the back of a spoon or masher. This helps to make curd rice creamy. Make sure no lumps are formed. If you don't mash the rice, it may turn hard when the yogurt is added.
- Add pre-boiled and cooled whole milk to the mashed rice. It prevents the curd rice from turning sour when prepared in advance. I highly recommend not to skip adding milk. Mix everything well. You can increase the quantity of milk if required.
- Next, cool the rice completely otherwise, whey may get separated when the cold curd is added to the hot rice.
Making Curd Rice
- Once the rice becomes lukewarm or comes to room temperature, add fresh curd (yogurt) and salt. Mix everything well.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of heavy cream (malai). Adding cream is optional, but it makes the curd rice rich and extra creamy. Again mix everything well.
Tempering (Tadka) for Curd Rice:
- Heat coconut oil in a tadka pan. Add mustard seeds, and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.Then add urad dal, dried red chilies, and saute until the dal turns light brown.
- Now add chopped ginger, sliced green chilies, curry leaves, and hing (asafoetida) and saute for a few seconds. Mix and turn off the flame.
- Add coriander leaves, and pour the tempering/tadka into the curd rice mixture. Mix everything well. Garnish with pomegranate seeds or grapes and coriander leaves if using.
- Serve authentic Yogurt rice, or Thayir Saddam chilled, and enjoy with pickle and papad.
Tips to Make the Best Curd Rice
Here are a few tips for making the best curd rice recipe
- Slightly overcook the rice: I like to overcook the rice with some extra water. It makes the yogurt rice soft and creamy.
- Don't mix curd with hot rice: Make sure to cool the rice, before you add the curd else, it will curdle.
- Use high-quality curd: use fresh homemade curd for the best results. Avoid using sour curd.
- Use freshly cooked rice: Curd rice always tastes best when made with freshly cooked rice than leftover rice.
- Avoid sourness: Add milk to avoid sourness if you are preparing curd rice in advance.
- Vegetables: You can also add vegetables like grated carrots, finely chopped raw mango, cucumber, bottle gourd, and fruits like grapes, and pomegranates. It adds a nice taste and texture and increases the nutritional value of the dish.
- Vegan Curd Rice: Use almond milk yogurt, coconut milk yogurt, or cashew yogurt for Vegan-friendly curd rice.
- Other Grains: You can replace rice with brown rice, broken wheat, quinoa, millets, poha, vermicelli, couscous, or keto cauliflower rice.
- Cooking Oil: Ghee can be substituted for olive oil in the tempering.
- Cream: If you don't have fresh cream, you can also use sour cream.
SNACK – Apple – I have cut apples into a star shape and brushed some lemon juice over the cut apples to prevent apples from browning.
Ways to prevent cut apples sliced from browning
- Lemon juice, lemonade, orange juice – any fruit juice containing citric acid will slow the enzymatic reaction.
- Soak the slices in salt water for 3-5 minutes and then pack for the lunchbox.
SNACK – French Macaroon – I have brought these macaroons from the store and my kid loves it
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can shred carrots and separate pomegranate arils the previous night and refrigerate.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.