Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #41 – Curd Rice + Apple + French Macaroon
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Curd Rice – Here is the detailed Recipe Link for Curd Rice
Curd Rice Recipe (Thayir Saddam)
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
On Stovetop in a Vessel
- Cook the rinsed rice with 3 cups of water on medium low heat until cooked and let it cool a bit.
In Instant Pot (Electric Pressure Cooker)
- Pressure cook the rinsed rice with 2.5 cups of water on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK mode for 6 minutes .Let the pressure release naturally.
In traditional Pressure Cooker on Stove Top
- Pressure cook the rinsed rice with 2.5 cups of water for 3 whistles on medium low heat .Let the pressure release naturally.
- When the rice is little warm slightly mash the rice with back of a spoon or your hands.
- Once the rice has cooled completely , add whisked curd (yogurt), milk, black pepper powder ,salt and mix everything well.
- For Tempering : Heat coconut oil in a pan.Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds let them splutter. Then add urad dal ,cumin (jeera) ,dried red chillies and fry until dal turns light brown in color.
- Now add the hing (asafetida), chopped ginger ,curry leaves and chopped green chillies and fry for a few seconds.
- Transfer the tempering/tadka to the bowl of curd rice and add coriander leaves ,cream (optional) ,adjust salt and mix everything well.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds.Serve chilled and enjoy with pickle and papad.
- I like to overcook rice a little bit with some extra water. It makes the curd rice mushy and the curd gets mixed well with rice.
- Curd rice always tastes best when made with freshly cooked rice than leftover rice.
- Do not add curd to the hot rice , it will curdle.
- You can also add grated carrots and add grapes for a variation.
- You can replace rice with quinoa and millets.
- For KIDS-FRIENDLY CURD rice skip green chillies and top with more fruits like grapes ,pomegranate and nuts.
SNACK – Apple – I have cut apples in to star shape and brushed some lemon juice over cut apple to prevent apples from browning.
Ways to prevent cut apple sliced from browning
- Lemon juice, lemonade, orange juice – any fruit juice containing citric acid will slow the enzymatic reaction.
- Soak the slices in salt water for 3-5 minutes and then pack for lunchbox.
SNACK – French Macaroon – I have brought these macaroons from the store and my kid loves it
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can shred carrots and separate pomegranate arils previous night and refrigerate.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.