Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #42 – Chapati Noodles + Makhana Raita + Pomegranate
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Chapati Noodles – Here is the detailed Recipe Link .
Chapati Noodles (Roti Noodles)
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 2 chapatis/roti
- ¼ cup onion ,thinly sliced
- ¼ cup carrot ,cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup red bell pepper ,cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup cabbage ,cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoon white spring onion (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves ,minced
- 2 green chilli ,halved
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (optional)
- salt to taste
- a pinch sugar
- black pepper powder to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon green spring onions
- Cut all the vegetables required for noodles into thin strips
- Stack 2 chapati’s as shown one on top of another and roll tight. (You may use any kind of chapati- whole wheat or Multi grain or even any kind tortilla works).Cut into thin strip forming noodles.Separate the chapati strips and keep aside.
- In a large kadai/wok heat 1 tablespoon oil and add garlic ,green chilli ,sliced onion and white spring onion and saute for a minute till onion softens.
- Then add carrot ,cabbage ,red bell pepper and saute over medium high heat till veggies are slightly cooked. Sprinkle some sugar and salt at this stage to keep the veggies colorful & crisp.
- Now add the tomato sauce, soy sauce ,vinegar, black pepper powder and salt.Mix well.
- Next add the prepared chapati strips and mix gently to coat the sauce all over.
- Lastly add in the green spring onions and switch off. Serve hot.
- Sugar is added to retain the color of the veggies while cooking.But you can skip it.
- Don’t cut the chapati strips too small as it becomes mushy when cooking. It should be lengthier to get the noodles look.
- Leftover chapatis work great for this recipe. But you can make this with fresh chapatis as well but make sure they are completely cooled.You may use wheat or multi grain chapati or tortillas or frozen parathas.You can also use spinach(palak) chapati or avocado chapati making the dish more healthy.
- I have used Chings Chilli Soy sauce which is little spicy but you can use any kind of soya sauce .I just avoid dark soya sauce since it adds dark color to the dish.Light Soya sauce also works well.
- I have used tomato sauce or ketchup for this recipe but you can also use red chili sauce to make the dish spicy.
- If you dont have spring onions you can also garnish with coriander leaves.
- If you dont want to make it indo-chinese way ,you can also add pav bhaji masala with some ketchup, makes a great variation.
- Veggies like green bell pepper ,cauliflower, mushroom and paneer can be added.
SNACK – Makhana Raita – Here is the Recipe Link.
SNACK – Pomegranate – Dhwani loves pomegranate whenever they are in the season i pack this fruit ,which is very healthy and tasty.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can cut vegetables and separate pomegranate arils previous night and refrigerate.
- You can prepare chapati/roti dough previous night.If you are ok giving chapati from previous night to your kid then you can also make chapati previous night itself.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.