Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #42 – Chapati Noodles + Makhana Raita + Pomegranate
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Chapati Noodles – Here is the detailed Recipe Link for Chapati Noodles.
Chapati Noodles (Roti Noodles)
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 2 chapatis/roti
- ¼ cup onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup carrot cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup cabbage
- 2 tablespoon white spring onion (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 green chili halved
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (optional)
- salt to taste
- a pinch sugar
- black pepper powder to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon green spring onions
- Stack 2 chapati's as shown one on top of another and roll tight. (You may use any chapati- whole wheat or Multigrain or even any kind of tortilla works).
- Cut into thin strips forming noodles. Separate the chapati strips and keep them aside.
- Meanwhile, cut the vegetables for noodles into thin strips.
- In a large kadai/wok, heat one tablespoon oil and add garlic, green chili, sliced onion, and white spring onion, and saute for a minute till the onion softens.
- Then add carrot, cabbage, red bell pepper, and saute over medium-high heat until tender. Sprinkle some sugar and salt at this stage to keep the veggies colorful & crisp.
- Add the tomato sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, and salt. Mix well.
- Next, add the prepared chapati strips and mix gently to coat the sauce all over.
- Lastly, add in the green spring onions and switch off. Serve leftover chapati or roti noodles recipe hot.
- Sugar is added to retain the color of the veggies while cooking. But you can skip it.
- Don’t cut the chapati strips too small as it becomes mushy when cooking. It should be lengthier to get the noodles to look.
- Leftover chapatis work great for this recipe. But you can make this with fresh chapatis as well but make sure they are completely cooled. You may use wheat or multi-grain chapati or tortillas or frozen parathas. You can also use spinach(palak) chapati or avocado chapati making the dish more healthy.
- I have used Chings Chilli Soy sauce which is little spicy but you can use any kind of soya sauce. I just avoid dark soya sauce since it adds dark color to the dish. Light Soya sauce also works well.
- I have used tomato sauce or ketchup for these roti noodles but you can also use red chili sauce to make the dish spicy.
- If you dont have spring onions you can also garnish with coriander leaves.
- If you dont want to make it indo-chinese way, you can also add pav bhaji masala with some ketchup, makes a great variation.
- You can also add veggies like green bell pepper, cauliflower, mushroom, and paneer for extra protein.
SNACK – Makhana Raita – Here is the Recipe Link for Makhana Raita.
SNACK – Pomegranate – Dhwani loves pomegranates whenever they are in the season I pack this fruit, which is very healthy and tasty.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can cut vegetables and separate pomegranate arils the previous night and refrigerate.
- You can prepare chapati/roti dough the previous night. If you are ok giving chapati from the previous night to your kid then you can also make chapati the previous night itself.