Looking for more healthy lunchbox ideas? My daughter hates eating lauki(bottle gourd) subji, so I try to include it in the form of paratha or mix it while making lauki dal. Also, beetroot tikki is a delicious, healthy combination of beetroot, potatoes, roasted peanuts, and some spices and serves as a healthy snack for kids.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #45 – Lauki Paratha + Tomato Ketchup + Beetroot Tikki
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Lauki Paratha – Here is the detailed Recipe.
Lauki Paratha (Bottle Gourd Flatbread)
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1.25 cup whole wheat or multigrain flour
- 1 cup lauki (bottle gourd) (peeled and grated)
- ¼ cup palak (spinach)
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon jeera (cumin) powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- water if necessary
- Peel and grate lauki and squeeze out the juice from the lauki. Do not throw away the water, reserve water to knead dough or for making curry.
- In a bowl, add wheat flour, squeezed grated lauki, chopped spinach (palak), coriander leaves, ginger, green chilies, garam masala, amchur powder, jeera powder, oil, and salt. Mix well.
- Lauki will ooze out some water hence be careful while adding extra water and make a smooth (but not sticky) dough.Smear little oil on the dough and let it rest for only 5 mins. Do not rest it for more time, the dough becomes very soft.Note: I didn't add extra water for preparing the dough.
- Make balls from the dough. I was able to get six balls.
- Roll the parathas semi-thick/ thin by dusting some dry flour.
- Heat a tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook. Once you see bubbles, flip onto the other side drizzle some ghee or oil on top.Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side until they have nice golden spots on both sides.
- Serve Lauki ka paratha (sorekai paratha) with curd, pickle, raita, ketchup, or any gravy of your choice.
- Prepare the dough when you are ready to cook parathas because lauki will leave out water if you keep it for a while.
- If the dough becomes sticky, sprinkle more flour and knead to make it nonsticky.
- You can replace spinach with chopped methi (fenugreek leaves).
- You can also add some grated carrots or beets to this paratha
- For kids, add some red chili powder instead of green chilies.
SNACK – Tomato Ketchup
SNACK – Beetroot Tikki(Cutlet) -I have made this tikki in an airfryer. Adjust the spices according to your kids taste. Here is the detailed Recipe for Beetroot Tikki.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can grate lauki the previous night and store it in the refrigerator. Do not prepare lauki paratha dough the previous night as lauki leaves water making it tough to roll the parathas the next day.
- You can boil the potatoes and grate the beetroot the previous night for making beetroot tikkis. If you dont have time in the morning. You can also make these Tikki the previous evening and refrigerate them. The morning before packing into the lunchbox just reheat the tikki.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you If you make this recipe, please share your food photo with hashtag #indianveggiedelight on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and others can enjoy it too! Thank you ♥
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.
Tried lauki and palak prantha for my daughter and she liked it so much. Best option to give lauki like this to my daughter.
Beetroot Rikki's also came out really nice.
Thanks for the amazing recipe
Bhavana Patil says
Hi Himanshi, sorry for the late response.. Yeah lauki has numerous health benefits..I am also constantly looking for more ideas..Thank you for trying my recipes and i am so glad to know your daughter liked it.