KIDS LUNCH BOX #52 – Vegetable Fried Idli + Bourbon Biscuit + Grapes
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Masala Rice + Lauki Raita + Broccoli Smileys
- Makhana Paratha + Potato Sagu + Mixed Nuts
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Butternut Squash Pasta + Dry Grapes + Orange
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
Vegetable Fried Idli
Vegetable Fried Idli is an interesting Indo-Chinese dish made with leftover or fresh Idlis.This is a great evening snack or kids lunch box recipe.Print Pin Rate
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- Take leftover Idlis.In a pan add some oil and fry till there are golden brown.This step is optional.
- Once they cool down ,cut them into long rectangular pieces and keep aside.
- In a skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame or olive oil over medium high heat.Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 30 secs or until aromatic.
- Then add onions and cook about 2 minutes till onions turn soft.
- Then add carrot, bell pepper, cabbage and stir fry on high flame till the vegetables are tender and crispy.
- Then add soy sauce ,tomato ketchup ,vinegar and mix well.
- Add the idli, salt and ground black pepper to this and gently toss them until the idli are coated well with the sauces.Cook covered on low flame for 2-3 minutes and turn off the stove.
- Sprinkle sliced spring onions over chilli idli recipe just before serving.
TIPS & VARIATIONS:
- Idlies can be refrigerated for 2-3 days or can be frozen for a month.
- You can also cut idli into bite sized cube shape
- You can also coat idli’s with cornstarch batter like gobi manchurian , deep fry them and then toss them in sauces.
- You can make this dish using rava idli as well.
- If you are using fresh idli for this recipe then refrigerate for an hour and then prepare.
Vegetable Fried Idli
Amount Per Serving
Calories 156 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 2186IU44%
Vitamin C 27.1mg33%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
SNACK – Bourbon Biscuit – I have used store brought bourbon biscuit as my daughter loves it.You can replace with any other biscuit or crackers
SNACK – Grapes – I have washed and packed red grapes.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can prepare the idli previous night and make veg fried idli next morning.You can also cut the veggies prior.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.