KIDS LUNCH BOX #52 – Vegetable Fried Idli + Bourbon Biscuit + Grapes
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Masala Rice + Lauki Raita + Broccoli Smileys
- Makhana Paratha + Potato Sagu + Mixed Nuts
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Butternut Squash Pasta + Dry Grapes + Orange
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
Vegetable Fried Idli
- Take leftover Idlis. In a pan add some oil and fry till there are golden brown. This step is optional.
- Once they cool down, cut them into long rectangular pieces and keep aside.
Stir Fry :
- In a skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame or olive oil over medium high heat.Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 30 secs or until aromatic.
- Then add onions and cook about 2 minutes till onions turn soft.
- Then add carrot, bell pepper, cabbage and stir fry on high flame till the vegetables are tender and crispy.
- Then add soy sauce ,tomato ketchup ,vinegar and mix well.
- Add the idli, salt and ground black pepper to this and gently toss them until the idli are coated well with the sauces. Cook covered on low flame for 2-3 minutes and turn off the stove.
Final Garnishing :
- Sprinkle sliced spring onions over chilli idli recipe just before serving.
Tips & Variations
- Idlies can be refrigerated for 2-3 days or can be frozen for a month.
- You can also cut idli into bite sized cube shape
- You can also coat idli's with cornstarch batter like gobi Manchurian , deep fry them, and then toss them in sauces.
- You can make this dish using rava idli as well.
- If you are using fresh idli for this recipe then refrigerate for an hour and then prepare.
SNACK – Bourbon Biscuit - I have used store brought bourbon biscuits as my daughter loves them. You can replace it with any other biscuit or crackers
SNACK – Grapes – I have washed and packed red grapes.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can prepare the idli the previous night and make veg fried idli the next morning. You can also cut the veggies prior.