KIDS LUNCH BOX #53 – Sweet Potato Paratha & Yogurt + Banana Chips + Peach
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Masala Rice + Lauki Raita + Broccoli Smileys
- Makhana Paratha + Potato Sagu + Mixed Nuts
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Butternut Squash Pasta + Dry Grapes + Orange
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
Sweet Potato Paratha
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 medium sweet potato boiled and grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup whole wheat or multigrain flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon jeera (cumin) powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds) (optional)
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee to (cook parathas)
- water to knead dough
- salt to taste
- Cut the sweet potato into half, and pressure cook for 3 whistles or until sweet potato is cooked well with some salt. Peel the skin and grate or mash the sweet potato.
- In a bowl, add wheat flour, boiled & grated sweet potato, coriander leaves, ajwain, ginger, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, jeera powder, amchur powder, oil, and salt. Mix well.
- Add very little water and make a smooth (but not sticky) dough. Smear little oil on the dough and let it rest for at least 10-15 mins.
- Make balls from the dough. I was able to get 6 balls.
- Roll the parathas semi-thick/thin by dusting some dry flour.
- Heat up a tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook.Once you see bubbles, flip onto the other side drizzle some ghee or oil on top. Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side until they have nice golden spots on both sides.
- Serve Sweet Potato Paratha with curd, pickle, raita, ketchup or any gravy of your choice.
- Make sure sweet potatoes are cooked well else it will be difficult to mash or grate.
- This sweet potato chapati (thepla) is naturally sweet so adjust the spices accordingly.
- You can add green leafy vegetables like finely chopped spinach or methi (fenugreek leaves).
- You can also add some grated carrots or beets for this paratha
- I have prepared this sweet potato roti without adding any sugar or jaggery. If you like you can add a little bit of jaggery/sugar.
SNACK – Banana Chips
SNACK – Peach - I have sliced the peach and packed it into the box. Always try to use local and seasonal fruits.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can boil and grate the sweet potato previous night and refrigerate.You can also prepare the sweet potato dough previous night if you are busy next morning.