INSTANT POT Spinach Dal|Dal Palak
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
You can also try my other instant pot recipes like
INSTANT POT Spinach Dal|Dal Palak Recipe Card is below
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
- measuring cup used 1 cup = 180ml
- 1/2 cup Toor dal/ split pigeon peas/lentils
- 2 cups spinach/palak,chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder adjust to heat preference
- 1 tsp garam masala/curry powder/sambhar powder
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 2 cups water
- 3 split green chillies
- 1 stalk curry leaves (optional for flavor only)
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter or oil, add more according to taste
- cilantro/coriander leaves for garnish
- juice of ½ lemon
Wash and rinse the dal,keep aside. Press saute mode on Instant Pot. Add ghee and once it's hot add cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
Add chopped garlic, green chili,curry leaves and saute till the garlic turns golden brown.
Then add chopped tomato and mix. Cook for a minute.
Add turmeric powder,salt,red chili powder and cook the tomato mixture for 1-2 minutes ,till tomato turns soft.
Add chopped spinach and cook for another 2 minutes.
Now add the rinsed dal ,water,garam masala and give a stir.
Close the lid on the pot, and turn valve from VENTING to SEALING position.
Cancel Saute mode,Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and increase timer to 10 minutes. Once the pot beeps, let it release the pressure naturally(NPR) for 10 minutes (Wait until silver button on lid drops).
Remove lid away from you,add cilantro and lemon juice. Also adjust consistency of the dal at this point.
Spinach dal is ready and serve hot with boiled rice,quinoa.
1. If you don't have garam masala, Add half teaspoon each of cumin powder and add half teaspoon of coriander powder.
2. If you are in a hurry,Once 10 minutes cooking time is up and you hear a beep, wait few minutes (5-6 minutes) and then release the pressure by yourself ..you would still see same results as above.
3. If your dal is watery,you can turn on the saute mode and cook for another 2-3 minute in the end.
4. You can also use combination of toor dal and masoor dal
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.