Instant Pot Whole Green Moong Dal|Green Lentils Curry|Hesarukalu Palya
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
You can also try my other INSTANT POT recipes like
Instant Pot Whole Green Moong Dal|Green Lentils Curry|Hesarukalu Palya Recipe Card
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Instant Pot Whole Green Moong Dal is a vegan Indian recipe where Mung/Moong bean dal (lentil) is cooked with spices!
- measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 3/4 cup dry Green gram/dry whole green mung lentil/moong dal
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium tomato chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 3 green chillies split in half
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder adjust to heat preference
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala/curry powder
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 2-2.5 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil vegetable/canola or olive
- cilantro/coriander leaves for garnish
- juice of ½ lemon
Wash and soak moong dal overnight(6-7 hours)
Press saute mode on Instant Pot. Add oil and once it's hot add cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
Add ginger-garlic paste,saute till the ginger-garlic turns golden brown.
Add onions,green chili and allow to saute for 2-3 minutes until translucent -stir regularly
Then add tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes ,till tomato turns soft.
Add turmeric powder,red chili powder,coriander powder,garam masala and cook mixture for another 1 minute(avoid burning of spices)
Now add soaked moong dal ,water, and salt give a stir.
Close the lid on the pot, and turn valve from VENTING to SEALING position.
Press CANCEL button on Instant Pot,Set the pot to manual (High Pressure) and set timer to 3 minutes (for firmer moong beans) or 5 minutes(for softer,broken up moong beans).
Once the pot beeps,manually do a quick pressure release(QR) (Wait until silver button on lid drops).BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT STEAM
Remove lid away from you,add cilantro and lemon juice. Also adjust consistency of the dal at this point.
Whole green moong dal is ready and serve hot with boiled rice,roti,quinoa or eat as a soup
1. If you dont have time to soak lentils,You can still make this dish by setting timer to 15 minutes on the INSTANTPOT with (Quick Pressure Release) and for 3/4 cup of dry green lentils add 3 cups of water.
2. If you don't have garam masala, Add half teaspoon each of cumin powder and add half teaspoon of coriander powder.
3. If your dal is watery,you can turn on the saute mode and cook for another 2-3 minute in the end.
4. No onion/no garlic variation: You can take out the onion and can replace garlic with a pinch of asafetida/hing.