Caramel Makhana Recipe
Caramel Makhana|Sweet Makhana with Jaggery is crunchy, deeply caramelized and healthy snack for kids & adults who are on diet
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
How to Roast Makhana:- In a pan or kadai add 1 cup of Makhana and dry roast them on very low heat for 5-6 minutes ,keep stirring them in between so that Makhana does not burn.To check if they are roasted properly just take one Makhana in hand and crush it ,if it breaks nicely with a crunching sound that means they are done perfectly.Now transfer makhanas to a plate and keep aside.Note in this recipe i have used already roasted makhanas.
Then add in the remaining 1 teaspoon of ghee and powdered jaggery to the same pan.
Heat it in low medium flame until jaggery starts to melt and it bubble's up nicely.Switch off the flame immediately and add in roasted phool makhana at this stage. Then mix it gently. Keep stirring continuously until the jaggery is well coated with makhana.
Remove the pan from the stove once done. Cool it down and store them in an airtight container.
- You can also use brown sugar instead of sugar.
- Add 2 tablespoon of shredded or desiccated coconut to jaggery mixture for extra taste.
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds also can be added to jaggery mixture.
- If you are vegan you can replace ghee with coconut oil or olive oil
- Make sure to roast makhana's before adding to jaggery.Makhana's should be crispy.
- Do everything in low flame to get the perfect texture and taste .
- If you are making in bulk, do it in batches.
- Can be stored in an airtight container for a week at room temperature.If they are exposed to air they get soggy and doesnot taste well.