How to cook Calrose Rice
This easy Instant Pot Calrose Rice recipe lets you make perfect calrose rice in the electric pressure cooker everytime
- 1 cup calrose rice
- 1 cup 2 tablespoons water for cooking, (or 1.5 cups for stovetop)
Instant Pot Instructions
Add the rinsed rice and water to the Instant Pot.
Give a quick stir. Close the lid, and make sure the pressure valve is turned to the "Sealing". Pressure Cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, and then Quick Release the remaining pressure manually.Open the lid and fluff the rice. Perfect Calrose rice every time!
Bring the water to boil in a medium pot.
When the water has returned to boil, add the uncooked rice and stir well.
Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat down to low. Keep the rice simmering slightly until all the liquid is absorbed. It will take about 17-20 minutes.
When the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and let it stand 10 minutes.
Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- Refrigerator: You can store any leftover cooked Calrose rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- Freeze: You can also freeze it in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- Reheat: You can microwave with a few drops of water if the rice is dry. You can also steam or use leftover rice for stir-fries over the stovetop.
Tips to make perfect Calrose Rice
Follow these tips to make perfect Calrose rice in the Instant Pot every time:
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Always rinse uncooked rice before you cook it. This helps to remove excess starch that causes the rice to clump together.
- Use the exact water to rice ratio mentioned in the recipe to get perfectly cooked rice.
- Don’t leave the rice in the pot in warm mode. Otherwise, it will overcook. So remove the instant pot insert to the countertop to avoid rice from further cooking.
- You can double or triple the amount of rice and water if you want to cook more rice. The cooking time will remain the same.
Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 0.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.04g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 6mg | Potassium: 9mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0.04g | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 0.1mg