Palak Poori (Fried Spinach Puffed Bread)
Palak Poori|Fried Spinach Puffed Bread is a delicious Indian puffed bread made with spinach puree and few spices and is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup wheat flour or multigrain flour
- 2 tablespoon fine sooji (rava) (optional)
- 3-4 cups spinach(palak)
- ½ inch ginger
- 1 green chiili
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carrom seeds)
- oil for frying
- water to knead ,if needed
- salt to taste
Blanch spinach in hot water.
Add blanched spinach, ginger and green chilli to a blender and blend to make a smooth puree.
Combine the whole wheat flour, sooji, spinach puree ,ajwain and salt and mix well.Knead into a stiff dough.
Divide the dough into small lime size pieces and roll it out into a 3 to 4 inch circle dusting with little flour.
Carefully slide rolled poori into hot oil and deep fry on both sides until it slightly starts to change color.
Remove it from the oil using slotted spoon and place on paper towel lined plate and serve warm with any side dish of your choice.
Tips & Variations
Note:Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Dough should not be soft like roti or loose or sticky. It should be slight stiff yet smooth.
- Roll the spinach pooris of medium thickness. If it is too thin like roti then it will not puff up while frying.
- Instead of adding spinach puree to the dough, you can add finely chopped spinach.
- You can add masalas like red chilli powder, hing, jeera powder etc to make this poori even more delicious.
Calories: 75kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Sodium: 654mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 4685IU | Vitamin C: 15.4mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2.3mg