Caramel Makhana Recipe
Caramel Makhana (Sweet Makhana with Jaggery) is crunchy, deeply caramelized and healthy snack for kids & adults who are on diet.
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
How to Roast Makhana:- Heat ghee in a pan or kadai, add 1 cup of Makhana, and dry roast them on very low heat for 4-5 minutes until they are crisp. Keep stirring them in between so that Makhana doesn't burn.To check if they are correctly roasted, take one Makhana in hand and crush it. If it breaks nicely with a crunching sound, that means they are done perfectly. Now transfer makhanas to a plate and let them cool.
Then add the remaining one teaspoon of ghee and powdered jaggery to the same pan.
Heat it in the medium-low flame until jaggery starts to melt and it bubble's up nicely.
Switch off the flame immediately and add in roasted phool makhana at this stage. Then mix it gently. Keep stirring continuously until the jaggery is well coated with makhana.
Remove the pan from the stove once done. Cool it down, and store gur makhana's in an airtight container.
- You can also use brown sugar or regular sugar.
- Add 2 tablespoons of shredded or desiccated coconut to the jaggery mixture for extra taste.
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds also can be added to the jaggery mixture.
- If you are vegan you can replace ghee with coconut oil or olive oil.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Make sure to roast makhana's before adding to jaggery. Makhana's should be crispy.
- Do everything in low flame to get the perfect texture and taste.
- If you are making gur makhana's in bulk, do it in batches.
- Can be stored in an airtight container for a week at room temperature. If sweet makhana with Jaggery is exposed to air they get soggy and does-not taste well.
Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 219mg | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 8IU | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg