Makhana Raita|Phool Makhana Raita
An easy and healthy raita made with yogurt (curd) , roasted makhana (puffed lotus seeds) and Indian spice powders
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
Heat ghee in a pan or kadai and add 1 cup of Makhana and dry roast them on very low heat for 4-5 minutes until they are crisp, keep stirring them in between so that Makhana doesnotburn.
To check if they are roasted properly just take one Makhana in hand and crush it ,if it breaks nicely with a crunching sound that means they are done perfectly.
Now transfer makhanas to a plate and let them cool.
Whisk curd in a mixing bowl until smooth and then add milk and mix well.The add the roasted makhana’s ,roasted cumin powder ,red chilli powder ,green chillies ,coriander leaves, salt,sugar and mix well.
Rest this raita for 10 minutes and serve the Makhana Raita with jeera rice ,pulao or parathas.
Note:Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Serve this raita after 10 minutes of adding makhanas.If you making this raita ahead of time then refrigerate only yogurt mixture and add makhanas just before serving else they turn very soggy.
- Refrigerate raita until serving time.
- Adding milk to the yogurt helps it from turning sour.If you are using fresh yogurt then skip it.
- Sugar balances the heat and the sourness , if you don't want then skip sugar.
- You can slightly crush the makhanas using hand ,blender or rolling pin and then add to the raita.
- You can also add finely chopped mint(pudina) instead of coriander leaves.
- If the raita becomes too thick add more milk.
Calories: 50kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 321mg | Potassium: 80mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 0.2mg