Instant Pot Green Lentil Soup
Instant Pot Green Lentil Soup is a hearty, yet full-of-flavor lentil soup made with green lentils, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, coconut milk and indian spices.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup whole green or brown lentils rinsed
- 1 tablespoon coconut (Or olive oil)
- 1 medium yellow onions diced
- 2 medium tomatoes diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 large carrots diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 small red bell pepper diced (about ½ cup)
- salt adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- ½ cup thick coconut milk (optional)
- 2-3 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Instant Pot Method:
Firstly Wash and rinse the lentil, keep aside—Press SAUTE on Instant Pot. Add oil and once it’s hot, add minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
Next, add onions and saute until they soften.
Add celery, red bell pepper, carrot, tomato, green lentils into the pot.
Then add dry spices like turmeric, ground cumin, red chili powder, curry, or garam masala powder into the pot. Finally, pour vegetable stock (or water) into the Instant pot along with some salt and black pepper.
Close the lid on the pot. Set the instant pot to SOUP mode for 15 minutes.When the instant pot beeps, Quick Release(QR). Open the lid. Add in the lemon juice, baby spinach. Stir it all up until spinach wilts. Green Lentil Soup is ready to enjoy!**This Soup usually becomes thick during cooking or storing, hence thin it out with a bit of water or vegetable stock.
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Coconut Milk: I have also added ½ cup of full-fat coconut milk to the lentil soup in the end, but it's totally optional. I love the flavor of the coconut milk in this soup.
- Other Leafy Greens: You can also add other greens like kale, mustard greens, or mustard chard.
- Lentils: You can use brown lentils instead of green lentils.
- Other Veggies: If you don't have celery or bell pepper, you can still make this dish without those. Tastes divine! You can also add veggies like sweet potato, butternut squash, potato, or green beans.
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 331mg | Potassium: 1233mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 14900IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 0.8mg