Instant Pot Moong Dal Payasam
Moong dal payasam is a delicious creamy sweet dish made with moong dal, jaggery, cardamom, ghee, nuts and coconut milk!
Measuring cup used (1 cup = 250 ml)
Instant Pot Method
Press SAUTE button. Add ghee into the pot. Once hot, add cashews, raisins, and coconut pieces, and stir fry till they are light golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
Add the moong dal (yellow lentils) and roast with leftover ghee in the pot until you get a nice aroma for about 2 minutes. Also, you should not let it brown too much.Then add the water. Mix well & Deglaze the pot.
Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to Sealing. Cook on High Pressure for 8 minutes.
Once the pot beeps, let it Natural Pressure Release (NPR).
After done, mix well in a mashing way, add powdered jaggery to this, and turn on the SAUTE button again.
Boil for 2 minutes until the jaggery melts, and then pour in the coconut milk, cardamom powder and cook for 2-3 minutes or until it thickens a bit.
Serve Moong dal payasam or paruppa payasam warm or cold and garnish with roasted cashews, raisins, and coconut pieces.
Stovetop Pressure Cooker Method:
Heat a pressure cooker pan. Add ghee into the pan, once hot add cashews, raisins, and coconut pieces, and stir fry till they are light golden brown in color. Remove and keep aside.
Add the moong dal (yellow lentils) and roast with leftover ghee in the same pan until you get a nice aroma in about 2 minutes, also you should not let it brown too much.
Next, add water into the pan and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles, or you can cook the moong dal in the open pot method as well.
After done, mix well in a mashing way and add powdered jaggery to this and turn on the gas again.
Boil in for 2 minutes until the jaggery has been melted and then pour in the coconut milk, cardamom powder and cook for 2-3 minutes or until it thickens a bit.
Serve moong dal payasa or pesara pappu payasam warm or cold and garnish with roasted cashews, raisins, and coconut pieces.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- If you feel your jaggery has impurities, first heat the jaggery with water just to immerse it and melt the jaggery. Strain it through a metal strainer and add this to the pesara pappu payasam.
- You can also add coconut slices (fresh or frozen) or dry coconut slices.
- Moong dal texture is important for the moong dal payasam or kheer. It should not be completely mashed out.
- You can replace jaggery with coconut sugar or brown sugar. But traditionally this dessert is prepared with jaggery and I prefer that way.
- If you don't have coconut milk, you can add almond milk or full-fat milk.
- I used homemade coconut milk, but you can use store brought coconut milk as well.
- You can follow the same recipe for chana dal as well.
Calories: 112kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 8g | Sodium: 6mg | Potassium: 305mg | Fiber: 9g | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 2.4mg