Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup is a healthy, thick, creamy and so delicious soup prepared with minimal ingredients under 25 minutes in the Pressure Cooker.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 cups fresh broccoli cut in to small pieces
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoon flour (maida)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (add more if required)
- 1 cup milk or half and half or light cream
- ½ teaspoon thyme (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
Instant Pot Method:
Firstly, press SAUTE on Instant Pot. Add butter, once it’s hot add minced garlic, diced onions, and saute till the onions turn translucent.
Add in the flour and saute for a minute constantly until it is cooked. Don't burn the flour.
Then add shredded carrot, chopped broccoli, salt, crushed black pepper, water (or vegetable broth), and give a stir.
Close the Instant Pot with a pressure valve to Sealing. Cook on High Pressure for 2 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then do a quick pressure release. Open the lid.
Blend (optional): At this point, you can blend some of the soup using an immersion blender until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, puree in a blender once slightly cooled. NOTE: I dint puree the soup since I have added small pieces of broccoli before pressure cooking and I like the soup to have a chunky texture.
Select "Sauté" mode again. Add in the milk (or half and half) and cheddar cheese. Stir for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted. Adjust the salt and pepper at this stage. Let the soup simmer for 2 minutes.
Instant pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup is ready to serve.**Broccoli Cheese Soup usually becomes thick during cooking or storing. If it gets too thick simply thin it out with a little water or vegetable stock.
Stovetop Pot Method:
Follow the first three steps in a large saucepan, and then bring to a simmer and cook until the broccoli is very tender. This should take about 25-30 minutes.
Once tender, stir in the cheese, milk, let the cheese melt, and soup simmer for 2 minutes. Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup is ready to serve.
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT.
Variations for Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- I used sharp cheddar cheese in this recipe. If you like, you can add ⅓ cup of parmesan cheese.
- I have made this soup with milk, in place of cream or half and half. It was a bit thinner consistency, but dint compromise on the taste.
- To make this soup gluten-free simply skip the all-purpose flour. To thicken add 2 tablespoons of almond flour or cornflour.
- You can also avoid adding cornstarch or flour to your recipes at the beginning of pressure cooking which can cause your food to burn. So mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch or flour with 2 tablespoons of cold water, and add to the soup after adding the milk and cheese after pressure cooking. Mix through well and allow to thicken.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator. How long can you store in the Refrigerator?
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it in a microwave or on the stove over medium-low heat.
Can you freeze Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
Yes, But the broccoli cheese soup may curdle or have a thinner consistency upon thawing. So on bringing soup to boil, prepare cornstarch slurry (whisk 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with equal amounts of water) and stir the soup until thickened.
Can I use frozen Broccoli to make this Broccoli and Cheddar Soup?
Fresh broccoli gives the best results in this recipe. I haven't tried using frozen broccoli, but frozen can certainly be substituted if you have it on hand. In this case, you can just pressure cook for 1 minute on HIGH.
Which Cheddar is best for this Soup?
Sharp cheddar is always the best cheese for this healthy broccoli cheddar soup. I also suggest grating your own cheddar cheese vs. using the pre-shredded bag because the pre-shredded cheese doesn't melt well.
Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Sodium: 308mg | Potassium: 331mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 6345IU | Vitamin C: 3.3mg | Calcium: 298mg | Iron: 0.9mg