Coconut Rice (Thengai Sadam)
One of South Indian's favorite rice dishes that is made often for quick lunch or lunch box.
- Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 1.5 cup cooked rice (any kind of rice)
- ½ cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen)
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 1 broken red chillies optional
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 1 teaspoon split urad dal
- a few curry leaves
- a few cashew nuts or peanuts
- a pinch asafoetida(hing) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil ghee or any oil
- salt as needed
Heat 1 tbsp of oil/ghee in a kadai. Add mustard, cumin seeds,dals,red chilli,hing saute for 1 minute till dals turn light brown.
Add curry leaves,green chilli ,ginger and cashewnut.Saute for another 1 minute.
Then add fresh grated coconut,salt & saute it for 1-2 minutes.
Once cooked, add cooked rice and salt,mix well and turn off the flame
Coconut Rice is Ready & serve hot with raita.
Note:Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- I have prepared this dish using fresh grated coconut but you can also use frozen shredded coconut.Just thaw before using.
- You can increase or decrease grated coconut for this recipe according to your preference and liking.
- You can replace peanuts with cashews in this recipe.
- For gluten free coconut rice skip asafetida.
Calories: 701kcal | Carbohydrates: 92g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Sodium: 688mg | Potassium: 434mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 215IU | Vitamin C: 36.4mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 3.8mg