Carrot Rice Recipe
Carrot Rice Recipe is an Indian style rice dish which is quick, healthy and tasty breakfast, lunch and kids lunchbox recipe.
- measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice or any rice
- 1 cup carrot grated
- ½ cup onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup boiled green peas
- 2-3 green chillies slit lengthwise
- ½ teaspoon garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
- few curry leaves
- few cashew nuts
- a pinch asafetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
Heat 1 tbsp of oil/ghee in a kadai. Add whole spices ,mustard and cumin seeds.
Once the mustard seeds start spluttering add green chillies ,curry leaves and hing(asafetida).Saute for few seconds.
Next add onions, minced ginger and garlic.Saute till onions are light brown in color.Then add green peas, grated carrot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
And then add turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala, sambar powder and salt. Cook for another minute.
Add cooked rice, mix it well and turn off the gas.
Garnish it with coriander leaves & serve hot with raita.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- You can also use sweet corn instead of peas.
- You can skip sambhar powder and add an extra ½ teaspoon of jeera and coriander powder each OR add more garam masala or pav bhaji masala or Bisi Bele bath powder for variation.
- You can also add finely chopped carrot instead of grated carrot.
- Substitute white rice with brown rice, quinoa, or millets.
Calories: 450kcal | Carbohydrates: 88g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 50mg | Potassium: 400mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10190IU | Vitamin C: 8.2mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 1.5mg