Instant Pot Rice Kheer/Pudding Recipe
Instant Pot Rice Kheer is a delicious, creamy Indian style rice pudding made with rice, milk and sugar and infused with saffron, cardamom and topped with dried fruits.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 5 cups milk (full fat) (Or almond milk if vegan)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup basmati rice (Or any medium grain white rice, rinsed)
- ½ cup sugar adjust to taste
- ¼ cup almonds sliced
- 2 tablespoon pistachios chopped
- a pinch saffron (soaked in 1 tablespoon of warm milk ,optional)
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
Instant Pot Method:
Sanitize the Instant Pot parts well before making the sweet dish.
Press the SAUTE and add 1⁄4 cup water to the pot. Once the water begins to steam or boil, pour the milk into the pot. *Do not skip this step as this prevents the milk from scorching the bottom of the pot.
Next add rinsed rice in the instant pot. Stir well. Close the lid with valve position to ‘Sealing’.
Press Porridge button for 20 minutes on high pressure. Once the pot beeps, allow Natural Pressure Release.
Open the lid and using the back of your ladle or potato masher, mash the rice a bit which makes pudding naturally creamy. This step is optional.Press ‘SAUTE’ again and then add sugar, almonds, pistachios, cardamom powder, saffron milk and mix it well.
Boil it for another 2-3 minutes or until kheer thickens. Stir Continuously
Rice Kheer/Pudding is Ready. Let it cool, it will thicken as it stands. Serve hot or chilled.
Stovetop Pressure Cooker Method:
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT
Variations & Tips:
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Can replace sugar with jaggery or brown sugar.
- If you don't have cardamom, replace with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- I highly recommend adding sugar or jaggery after the pressure cooking, sometimes impurities in the sugar can curdle the milk and spoil.
- To make the kheer more rich you can add condensed milk after the pressure cooking and adjust sugar quantity accordingly.
- Sanitize the Instant Pot steel insert, lid and sealing ring before making sweet to avoid curdling of milk. I always keep an extra sealing ring for sweets separately.
Calories: 243kcal | Protein: 7.3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 67mg | Potassium: 300mg | Sugar: 26g | Calcium: 145mg | Iron: 1.2mg