I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT
Tips to Make the Best Rajma
- Soaking rajma: Soaking legumes like beans is an important step. Soaking beans not only softens the texture, and quickens the cooking process, but it also makes the beans easier to digest by removing phytic acid. If the beans are not cooked well, it can upset the stomach.
- Cook the rajma till soft & tender: Rajma in any rajma curry should be cooked really soft and tender, which can be easily mashed easily between your fingers.
- Thick & Creamy Consistency: If you want thicker and creamy gravy, you can mash a ladle full of rajma and add them back to the curry.
- Restaurant style: Adding some crushed Kasuri methi at the end, enhances the flavor and gives a Restaurant style taste to the dish.
- Cooked Rajma stock: You can use rajma stock or water to adjust the consistency of the rajma gravy.
- New Rajma Beans: Make sure to use new and not old rajma beans. The old beans take more time to cook. So make sure to check the packaging date while buying.
- Canned Kidney Beans: "Pressure Cook/Manual" on High for 6-8 minutes in Instant Pot or 2 whistles if using a stovetop Indian pressure cooker for cooking rajma masala with canned or cooked beans. Adjust water appropriately, as it takes less water to cook canned beans.
- Canned tomatoes: Canned tomatoes can also be used to replace fresh tomatoes. Use 1 cup of canned tomatoes to replace fresh tomatoes.
- Tanginess: If you do not have amchur (dry mango powder), then replace it with 1 tablespoon of lime juice.
- Using Bhuna Masala: You can use ¾ cup of Bhuna Masala (Onion Tomato Masala) in place of the onion, ginger, garlic, and tomato sauce, in this rajma masala recipe. Add the oil and whole spices. Then add the Bhuna Masala and saute for about a minute. Then add the ground spices and follow the same recipe.
- Spices: In this recipe, I have used basic Indian spices. You can also use store-bought Rajma Masala, which replaces all the spices in this recipe. I like the Everest Rajma Masala powder.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.