Lauki Chana Dal Recipe - Pressure Cooker
Lauki Chana Dal is a nutritious and healthy dal recipe prepared with Bottle Gourd (aka Lauki, Dudhi or Ghiya), lentils and few spices making it a perfect dish for a wholesome lunch or busy weeknights.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup Chana Dal (Bengal gram) soaked for ½ hour
- 2 cups water for soaking dal
- 500 grams lauki (bottle gourd) peeled, de-seeded and chopped about 1 inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic minced
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1.5 cups water for cooking
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt to taste
Extra Tempering: (Optional)
Soak the chana dal in cold water for at-least 30 minutes. Drain, rinse and set aside. Chana dal takes a longer time to cook than lauki. Soaking it softens it and makes sure that both the dal and lauki are evenly cooked in the instant pot.
Wash Bottle Gourd, peel the skin, dee-seed and cut into 1 inch pieces. Make sure to cut the lauki into larger chunks so they keep their shape in the dal when pressure cooked.
Instant Pot Method:
Press Saute on Instant Pot. Add oil and once it’s hot add cumin seeds. Let them crackle. Add asafetida, minced ginger garlic, chopped green chili and saute for 15 secs. Then add chopped onion. Saute till onions turn light brown in color.
Add tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turn soft, takes 2-3 minutes.
Then add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, lauki, soaked lentils or dal, salt, water and give a stir. Adjust spices at this stage.
Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position. Cancel Saute mode. Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and increase timer to 8 minutes. Once the pot beeps, let it release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes (Wait until silver button on lid drops).
Squeeze some lime juice, add garam masala and garnish with coriander leaves (cilantro). Mix well.
Lauki Chana Dal is ready, you can also add extra tempering(tadka) and serve hot with boiled rice, quinoa or roti.
Stove Top Pressure Cooker Method:
Follow the same process mentioned above for instant pot.Give 3-4 whistles on medium flame and let the pressure release naturally. All the other steps remain the same.
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT.
Tips & Variations
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Chana dal requires longer cooking time. Soaking in enough water for 30 minutes is recommend.
- Chop the lauki into larger chunks to retain their shape in the dal after pressure cooked.
- You can replace bottle gourd with zucchini or pumpkin.
- You can add potato cubes or other veggies into this curry along with lauki.
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 4g | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 430IU | Vitamin C: 13.7mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 4.3mg