Sabudana Vada(Deep Fry,Air fry & Appe Pan)
Sabudana Vada's are crispy and crunchy Sago Fritters made with soaked sago (tapioca pearls) ,boiled potatoes, coarsely ground peanuts and few other ingredients and is a popular snack recipe for fasting days.Serve them hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.Enjoy the low oil, Air Fryer,Appe Pan Version, this fasting season.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
Rinse the sabudana 1-2 times and drain all the water.Soak the sabudana in 2 cups of water for 2-4 hours (time may vary based on the quality of sabudana. I soaked mine for 2 hrs).Some need only 2 hours while other need 4-6 hours.
They will double in size after soaking and you can easily mash them between your fingers.Make sure they are soaked well else unsoaked sabudana may burst in oil.
Dry roast peanuts in a pan on medium heat. Let them cool and grind into a coarse powder.
If using Stove top pressure cooker ,then pressure cook the potatoes in water for 2 to 3 whistles.I used Instant Pot Pressure cooker to boil the potatoes.Pressure cook for 4-5 minutes on Manual/Pressure cook mode (High Pressure) and allow natural pressure release.After the pressure has released naturally ,drain water, peel the potato skin, mash it well and keep aside
In a mixing bowl, take soaked sabudana, mashed potatoes, peanut powder, chillies, ginger, cumin seeds ,corn starch ,lemon juice ,coriander leaves and salt in a bowl.
Mix everything well.Dough should be stiff and not soft or sticky. If it is soft then you can add a 1-2 tablespoons of corn flour on regular days or kuttu ka atta if fasting.
Divide the dough into equal size of balls.(Around 8-10).Grease your palms with little oil. And make flat vadas like patty and keep aside.
TRADITIONAL DEEP FRYING:
Now heat the oil in a pan on medium-high heat for deep frying. Add the vadas into the oil very carefully. Fry them on medium heat from the both sides till they turn golden brown.Drain on a paper towel.
Serve steaming hot vadas with green coriander chutney or tomato ketchup.
I have used Instant Vortex AirFryer for this method.You can use any airfryer which is available.
Place a sheet of parchment or lightly oiled aluminium foil in the basket/tray.Now place the vadas into a single layer.Brush some oil on top of vadas.
Using the display panel, select AIRFRY, then adjust the temperature to 395°F (200°C) and set the time to 18 minutes, then touch START.So preheating starts for 3 minutes.When the display indicates “Add Food” insert the cooking tray in the center position.
When the display indicates “Turn Food” carefully flip the vadas.
Once vadas are crispy and golden brown ,take them on to the plate and serve hot with ketchup or green chutney.
USING APPE PAN:
Heat the appe/paniyaram/aebleskiver pan on medium low heat. Add a few drops of oil in each round section. Place the lemon sized balls in each section and cook for 2-3 mins over medium-low flame.
Turn over each ball, drizzle few more drops of oil, if needed.Cover and cook again for another 3-4 minutes until they turn crisp and golden brown
Serve these vadas hot with green chutney or ketchup.
TIPS & VARIATIONS TO MAKE BEST SABUDANA VADA
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Soak Sabudana well - Make sure soaked sabudana can be mashed easily when pressed between the thumb,if not soaked well can burst in oil.Vadas can also be hard and chewy.
- Know your sabudana. Soaking time mainly depends on the quality of the sabudana (tapioca pearls), it can vary from 2-4 hours to overnight soaking.
- If the vada mixture becomes soft or breaks in the oil , You can add 1-2 tablespoon of corn startch or rice flour on regular days.During fasting add vrat atta like kuttu(buckwheat flour) or rajgira (amaranth flour).
- In regular days you can also add finely chopped onions ,chat masala while mixing vada ,they taste great.
- You can also prepare these vada's before and refrigerate until ready to use.Or you can freeze them, defrost.Fry them before serving.
- Total cook time will vary based on the air fryer brand you use and how crispy you want.
- They taste best only when eaten hot.
Calories: 55kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 64mg | Potassium: 101mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 3.2mg | Calcium: 3.5mg | Iron: 1mg