Palak Paratha (Spinach Paratha)
Palak Paratha is an Indian Whole Wheat Spinach Flatbread prepared by kneading whole wheat flour and spinach puree together with few spices.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 2.5-3 cups palak (spinach) tightly packed
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 green chilli
- ½ cup water for grinding
- 1 cup whole wheat or multigrain flour
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- salt to taste
- oil or ghee for cooking
In a blender, add the washed spinach ,ginger and green chilles.Puree them to a smooth paste with 2 tablespoon of water.
In a bowl add wheat flour ,pureed spinach, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
Add very little water and make a smooth (but not sticky) dough. Smear little oil on the dough and let it rest for at-least 10-15 mins.
Make balls from the dough. I was able to get 6 balls.
Roll the parathas to 3 inch diameter using chapati roller.
Cook it on both sides on a hot tawa and spread some ghee on top.
Serve spinach paratha with curd, pickle, raita ,ketchup or any gravy of your choice.
Tips & Variations:
Note:Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- You can also blanch the spinach ie wash the spinach and put them in boiling water for 2-3 minutes and take the spinach out and then take out spinach and run them under cold water (This retains green color of spinach).Blend together with 1-2 tablespoon of water to make spinach puree.
- You can also finely chop the spinach and add to the flour along with spices and make the dough.
- You can prepare extra spinach puree and freeze it in freezer safe containers and when you want to use just thaw .
Calories: 133kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 6mg | Potassium: 123mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 605IU | Vitamin C: 1.8mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1.1mg