Lauki Soup | Bottle Gourd Soup - Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Lauki Soup or Bottle Gourd Soup is quick, filling, rich and creamy soup that can be made in the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker with just a handful of ingredients.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 1 medium bottle gourd (lauki) peeled and diced (about 2.5 - 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 green chilli
- 1 medium onions finely chopped
- 1.5 cups water
- salt and black pepper for taste
- cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnish
Instant Pot Method:
Press SAUTE on Instant Pot. Add olive oil and once it's hot, add minced garlic, onions, green chili, and saute till onions soften.
Add diced bottle-gourd, water or vegetable stock, and salt.
Furthermore, close the lid on the pot and set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and timer to 5 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid.
Puree soup using a hand blender until smooth. If you don't have a hand blender, puree in a blender in batches once slightly cooled. Also, add crushed black pepper for seasoning.
If you think the soup is too thick, you can add water or vegetable stock into the soup and boil for 2 minutes.
Instant Pot Lauki ka Soup recipe (Keto Friendly Soup) is ready to serve. Sprinkle cilantro if required.
Stovetop Pressure Cooker Method:
Follow the process mentioned above until step 2. Give 2 whistles and let the pressure release naturally. All the other steps remain the same.
Stovetop Pot Method:
Follow the process mentioned above until step 4.
Cover the pot with a lid and cook till lauki/bottle gourd gets soft about 15-20 minutes. Do stir once or twice in between. All the other steps remain the same.
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT.
- Make it spicy: Sprinkle some crushed red chili flakes into this soup before serving to give a soup kick.
- Add in some extra veggies: feel free to add a handful of chopped broccoli along with the bottle gourd. You can also add potatoes when you cook bottle gourd, this gives more creamy texture, or blend in some of cooked/canned white beans for protein. You can also add some spinach while cooking bottle gourd.
- Vegan: You can also add some coconut milk to flavor up the soup.
- Toppings: You can also use roasted sesame or chickpeas as a healthier toppings option.
- Fresh Herbs: I have used cilantro. To make an Italian version add rosemary, oregano, or thyme.
Note:Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Be sure to sauté the onion and garlic, in a little olive oil or butter first. The soup will have a rich flavor.
Calories: 95kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.6g | Protein: 0.8g | Fat: 7.31g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1023mg | Potassium: 64mg | Fiber: 1.2g | Sugar: 2g