Dal paratha is a very popular in Rajasthan and Gujarat, dish prepared with whole wheat flour, dal and spices.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
In a large bowl, add wheat flour, cooked dal, coriander leaves, jeera (cumin) seeds, ajwain, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, amchur powder, oil, and salt. Mix well.
Add very little water and make a smooth (but not sticky) dough. Smear little oil on the dough and let it rest for at least 10-15 mins.
Make balls from the dough. I was able to get six balls.
Roll the parathas to 3-inch diameter using a chapati roller. Then spread little oil or ghee on it using a spoon.Fold from left and then right, as seen in this picture. Again spread oil and sprinkle some wheat flour. Fold from the top and the other side covering the previous fold (from the bottom).It should look like a square. Then roll it to a slightly thick square-shaped paratha. Heat a tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook. Once you see bubbles, flip onto the other side drizzle some ghee or oil on top.Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side until they have nice golden spots on both sides.
Serve Dal Paratha or Dal ka paratha with curd, pickle, raita, or any gravy of your choice.
Tips & Variations:
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- I have used ½ cup of thick cooked dal for 1 cup of wheat flour in this recipe. If you use thinner dal, then you can increase the quantity.
- I have used cooked toor dal in this recipe. You can use any dal like chana dal, chickpeas, masoor dal, yellow moong dal, or green moong dal. Or a mix of several dals.
- Use leftover dal from the previous night, that tastes, even more, better because that will already have some masala in it.
- You can add finely chopped mint (pudina) for extra flavor for this toor dal paratha recipe.
- You can add freshly chopped spinach or methi (fenugreek) leaves to the paratha.
- Finely chopped onions can be added too but I didn't add them to this recipe.
Calories: 198kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 311mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g