Hesarubele Carrot Kosambari (Moong Dal Carrot Salad)
A South Indian style Moong dal Carrot salad recipe is simple, quick and easy made up of moong lentils rich in protein and vitamins.
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- ¼ cup split yellow moong dal (hesarubele) unsoaked
- 1 cup water for soaking moong dal
- ½ cup grated carrot (or 1 medium carrot)
- ¼ cup fresh coconut grated
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- juice of half lemon/lime
- salt to taste
Firstly, soak moong dal for at least 1 hour in water. Drain the excess water from the moong dal using a strainer.
Furthermore, add all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, except salt, and lemon juice.
Heat the oil in a tadka pan, add mustard seeds, when they crackle, add dry red chili, curry leaves, and hing. Saute for a few seconds and turn off the gas.
Pour the tempering over the kosambari. Add salt and lemon/lime juice just before serving.
Mix it very well. Serve Immediately.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Add grated raw mango if in season for more flavors.
- Add 2 tablespoons of pomegranate seeds to make the salad more rich & healthy.
- Make sure to add the salt at the time of serving, else moong dal carrot salad will release the water.
- If you are in a hurry, soak moong dal in hot water for 30 minutes to achieve the same results.
Calories: 147kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 107mg | Potassium: 189mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5675IU | Vitamin C: 57mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg