Yellow Pumpkin Raita (Kaddu ka Raita)
Yellow Pumpkin Raita or Kaddu ka Raita is an easy to make accompaniment made using grated pumpkin, yogurt and few spices and it goes very well with Indian meals.
Measuring cup (1 cup = 250 ml)
Place the grated pumpkin along with ¼ cup of water in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes until the pumpkin is completely tender. OR Cook grated pumpkin in an open pan with boiling water for 4-5 minutes.
Strain the pumpkin and let it cool.
Whisk the yogurt or curd in a large mixing bowl.
Add cooked pumpkin, roasted jeera powder, red chili powder, chat masala powder, green chili, coriander and salt. Taste at this stage to make sure the amount of salt and spices is enough.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- If you like raitas to be a little thick and creamy, use plain Greek Yogurt. If you want it thinner, mix in a little cold water till you achieve the desired consistency.
- An alternate method of making pumpkin raita is you can cut the pumpkin into cubes, boil for 4-5 minutes, cool completely, mash them and add to the yogurt along with other spices.
- Additionally, you can also add tempering of oil, mustard seed, and curry leaves before serving.
- If the pumpkin is very fresh & tender, you can skip cooking the pumpkin and add grated pumpkin to the yogurt.
- If your pumpkin is a bit sweet, you can add one more green chili to this too.
Calories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.4g | Protein: 3.7g | Fat: 7.1g | Sodium: 15.2mg | Potassium: 184.4mg | Fiber: 0.8g | Vitamin A: 150IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 190mg | Iron: 0.5mg