Chickpea Salad Sandwich
This smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich recipe is easy to make, healthy and satisfying. It takes only 10 minutes to prepare with no cooking required.
- 15 oz can chickpeas (or 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas)
- 6 bread (whole grain or brown)
- ¼ cup greek yogurt (or hung curd)
- ½ medium onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, add cooked or canned chickpeas, and using a potato masher or fork, mash it a slightly chunky texture. Then add onion, greek yogurt, coriander leaves, salt & pepper. Mix all well.
Serve as is, or build a sandwich. It's also great in lettuce wraps or tortilla wrap.Take a sandwich bread and spread smashed chickpea salad mixture generously on one slice of the bread. On another slice of bread top it with lettuce leaves, tomato slices, and onion.
Cover and press with another bread slice over it. Cut in half and enjoy them immediately.
Tips & Variations
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Have cooked chickpeas handy. I love to cook chickpeas in the instant pot pressure cooker. Perfect every time.
- Use greek yogurt, mayo, or cream cheese, based on your preference to make the chickpea salad mash more creamy.
- Use fresh herbs like cilantro, dill, parsley, or basil.
- Choose brown or multigrain bread for healthier choices.
- Toast or grill the sandwich if you like.
Calories: 293kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 692mg | Potassium: 363mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 113IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 4mg