Ash Gourd Raita Recipe
Ash Gourd Raita is a healthy and delicious accompaniment made from winter melon (ash gourd) and yogurt
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup ash gourd (winter melon) shredded, (about 300 grams)
- ½ cup yogurt whisked
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
Firstly, Wash the ash gourd with water. Remove the seeds and center soft part of the ash gourd. Peel the skin and grate the ash gourd using the box grater or food processor.
Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
Then add green (or red) chilies, curry leaves, asafetida (hing), and saute for few seconds.
Whisk the yogurt or curd in a mixing bowl. Add grated raw ash gourd and the tempering (tadka) along with some salt. Taste at this stage to make sure the amount of salt and spices are enough.Note: I did not cook the ash gourd in this recipe. You can also saute grated ash gourd on stovetop pot or microwave for 2-3 minutes on high by checking in between.
Healthy Ash gourd raita recipe is ready, serve chilled.
Tips & Variations
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- You can saute grated ash gourd for few minutes along with tempering on stovetop or microwave for 2-3 minutes till done by checking in between. I used raw shredded ash gourd, it tasted great in this raita.
- You can either grate or finely chop white gourd into ¼ inch cubes for this raita recipe.
- Another variation is to blend ¼ cup of fresh coconut, 2 green chilies, and ½ teaspoon of jeera to a smooth paste and add to this raita. It is also called Poosanikai Thayir Pachadi in Tamil Nadu.
- If the raita becomes too thick add more water or milk.
- To make this ash gourd yogurt recipe Keto-friendly, use Greek Yogurt or hung curd.
Calories: 95kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 29mg | Potassium: 102mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 74IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 1mg