Sabudana Kheer (Tapioca Pudding)
Sabudana Kheer or Tapioca Pudding is a popular Indian dessert prepared using sabudana (sago), milk, sugar, and nuts during the fasting festival season.
- ½ cup sabudana (tapioca pearls)
- 1 cup water for soaking sabudana
- 3 cups whole milk (or almond milk)
- a pinch of saffron strands
- ¼ cup sugar (or as needed)
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped nuts (cashews, almonds, pistachios)
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon ghee for roasting nuts
In a heavy bottom pan, heat 1 tablespoon of ghee, then add chopped dry fruits like cashews, almonds, and pistachios, and roast till it turns light golden. Then add raisins and fry till they turn plump. Remove and keep aside.
Once the sabudana has soaked for 1 hour, drain and add them to the same pan and saute for a minute while stirring continously.
Add the whole milk, give a quick stir, and let it come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let the milk simmer for around 10-15 minutes while stirring it occasionally to prevent the pearls from sticking to the bottom of the pan.The milk will begin to reduce, and the sabudana will soften and get cooked.
Stir in the sugar, and saffron milk. Cook for another 4-5 minutes or until the kheer thickenes further, stir occasionally.
Lastly, add the cardamom powder, roasted nuts. Mix well. Turn off the heat. Serve warm or chilled.Note: Sabudana kheer thickens as it cools down.
Instant Pot Method
Clean the Instant Pot thoroughly – the steel pot, lid, and sealing ring. If you have an extra sealing ring for sweet foods, use it. Else, milk may curdle.
Press Saute on the Instant pot, Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee, then add chopped dry fruits like cashews, almonds, and pistachios, and roast till it turns light golden. Then add raisins and fry till they turn plump. Remove and keep aside.
Once the sabudana has soaked for 1 hour, drain and add them to the same pot and saute for a minute while stirring continously.
Add the whole milk, and give a quick stir.
Close the lid, and turn the pressure valve to the SEALING position. Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (Low Pressure) and set the timer to 10 minutes.Once the pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, and then quick release the remaining pressure. Open the lid, Add the sugar and saffron milk, and stir well. Simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the kheer thickens further, stirring occasionally. If you dint get the desired consistency, cook for extra 2 minutes until it thickens a bit.Note: Kheer thickens after cooling down or refrigeration.
Lastly, add the cardamom powder, and roasted nuts. Mix well. Cancel Saute. Serve warm or chilled.
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT
Tips to Make Perfect Sabudana Kheer
- Soaking Sabudana: Soaking the sabudana for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour before making kheer is an important step, so do not skip it. They become soft and reduce cooking time.
- Use full-fat milk: Use Whole milk to make the kheer rich and creamy. I do not recommend using low-fat or 2% reduced milk.
- Stir the kheer frequently: Stirring the kheer frequently prevents the sabudana from sticking to the bottom of the pan and clumping together.
- Use a heavy-bottomed pot: Use a heavy-bottomed pot or non-stick pan to prevent the kheer from sticking to the bottom or burning.
- Kheer Consistency: The sabudana kheer becomes thick after cooling down or refrigeration. Add warm milk to adjust the consistency while serving.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Nuts: You can add any nuts of your choice to this kheer.
- Vegan Friendly: To make vegan-friendly tapioca pudding, substitute dairy milk with almond milk or full-fat coconut milk.
- Sweetener: You can replace refined sugar with organic powdered jaggery or brown sugar.
- Add fruits: You can add small pieces of fruits such as mango after the kheer has cooled down for a fruity twist.
- Sago Kheer with condensed milk: If you want to make richer sago kheer, Add ¼ cup of condensed milk if you like and reduce the sugar appropriately.
Calories: 221kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 45mg | Potassium: 220mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 149IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 1mg