Curd Quinoa is an easy and healthy South Indian recipe made with quinoa, curd (yogurt) and tempered with ginger and other Indian spices
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- ½ cup raw quinoa rinsed
- 1 cup water for cooking quinoa
- 1 cup yogurt (curd)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon carrot
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
ON STOVETOP IN A VESSEL:Cook the rinsed quinoa with 2 cups of water on medium-low heat until cooked and let it cool a bit.IN TRADITIONAL PRESSURE COOKER ON STOVETOP:Pressure cook the rinsed quinoa with 1.5 cups of water for 2 whistles on medium-low heat. Let the pressure release naturally.IN INSTANT POT (ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER) :Pressure cook the rinsed quinoa with 1.25 cups of water on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK mode for 1 minute. Let the pressure release naturally. Check the detailed recipe of how to cook quinoa in instant pot from my blog.
Slightly mash the quinoa with the spoon or your hands. Next add curd (yogurt), milk, grated carrot, salt, and mix everything well. Keep it aside.
Then add curd (yogurt), milk, grated carrot ,salt and mix everything well. Keep it aside.
For Tempering: Heat coconut oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, cumin (jeera), and let them splutter.Then add urad dal, cashews, and fry until they are light brown in color.
Now add the hing (asafoetida), chopped ginger, curry leaves, green chilies, and fry for a few seconds.
Pour the tempering over curd quinoa rice and mix until well combined.
Garnish with fresh coriander and pomegranate seeds. Serve chilled and enjoy!
Tips & Variations
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Rinse quinoa in water several times to take away the bitter coating (saponin) from quinoa.
- I like to overcook quinoa a little bit with some extra water. It makes the curd quinoa recipe mushy and the curd gets mixed well with quinoa.
- Curd quinoa rice or Dahi quinoa always tastes best when made with freshly cooked quinoa than leftover quinoa.
- You can leave grated carrots if don’t like them and add pomegranate seeds, or grapes for a variation.
- Vegans can replace dairy yogurt & milk with plant-based yogurt and milk.
- For KIDS-FRIENDLY CURD QUINOA skip green chilies and top with more fruits like grapes, pomegranate, and nuts.
- You can replace quinoa with rice and millets.
Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 22mg | Potassium: 140mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 27.2IU | Vitamin C: 62mg | Calcium: 3.8mg | Iron: 8.1mg