Red Chilli Karindi (Menthe Hindi)
Red Chilli Karindi|Menthe Hindi|North Karnataka style Karindi is a kind of chutney relished mostly by Veerashaiva community families living in central and northern Karnataka.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 100 grams OR 20-22 ripened byadgi red chilli long and thin red chillies ,which are less spicy in nature
- 2.5 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds/Methi/Menthya
- 2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 small bulbs of garlic whole – in India, 5-6 cloves in USA
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
Soak Fenugreek/methi seeds for atleast 1-2 hours.
Then grind all the ingredients to a coarse mixture. Mix well and store it in a container.
Keep this chutney in hot sun for 2-3 days to ferment it. Then karindi will get very nice aroma and its color will change. Note:This step is optional if you want to make small quantities.
This can be eaten with roti or chapatti or rice too. You can add ghee or oil to tone down the spice a bit.
Tips & Variations
- You can store this karindi for at least 1-2 months without refrigeration, since we keep it in sunlight it will not spoil easily.
- Note this can be only made with fresh red chilies and not with dry red chili.
- This chutney/karindi is usually made from Byadagi or Dyavanur red chiles.
Calories: 29kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 123mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 240IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg