Instant Pot Vegetable Barley Soup
This Indian style Vegetable and Pearl Barley Soup recipe is light, healthy, full of flavour and so filling made in the Instant Pot pressure cooker or stovetop.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot diced into ½ inch pieces
- ½ red bell pepper diced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large tomato diced OR (1 tablespoon tomato paste)
- 1 cup green peas frozen
- ½ cup sweet corn frozen
- ¾ cup pearl barley rinsed
- salt to taste
- black pepper powder to taste
- 5-6 cups water or vegetable stock
- juice of half lemon
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro)
Instant Pot Method:
Firstly, wash and rinse the Barley, keep aside.
Press SAUTE on Instant Pot. Add oil and once it’s hot, add bay leaf, minced garlic, onions and saute for 2-3 minutes till onions soften.
Add carrot, red bell pepper, tomato, green peas, sweet corn, pearl barley, dry spices like turmeric, ground cumin, curry, or garam masala powder into the pot.
Then pour vegetable stock or water into the Instant pot along with some salt and black pepper.
Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to Sealing. Cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes.When the instant pot beeps, Quick Release(QR). Open the lid.
Lastly, squeeze some lemon juice and garnish with cilantro. Stir it all up.
Vegetable Barley Soup is ready to enjoy!
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- You can add other vegetables like celery, potatoes, pumpkin, zucchini.
- For more protein add cannellini beans, edamame beans, green lentils, or chickpeas along with barley
- You can also add greens like spinach, kale, mustard greens orchard.
- If you want it to be more spicy and curry style add 1 can 14 oz diced tomatoes or sauce.
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 5.3g | Fat: 5.5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 83mg | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 600IU | Vitamin C: 41.3mg | Calcium: 137mg | Iron: 4mg