Creamy Avocado Pasta
Creamy Avocado Pasta is a super healthy ,delicious and packed with hidden spinach which is a sneaky way to get kids to eat their leafy greens.Add some more veggies to make it avocado pasta salad.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
For Cooking Pasta:
- 8 oz penne pasta ,i used semolina pasta (about 2-2.5 cups) or any pasta
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
For Avocado Sauce:
- 1 large ripened avocado
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 green chilli (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- red chilli flakes for garnish
How to Cook Pasta:
Stove Top Method:Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions (about 10-12 minutes).
Once the pasta is cooked, drain excess water and keep it aside.
Instant Pot Method:Add dry pasta, water, salt to the Instant pot.Most of the pasta should be covered in the water. If it is not, add some more water.
Close the lid on the pot, and turn valve from VENTING to SEALING position.Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 4 minutes.
Using penne pasta in this recipe which has 10 minutes for cooking on stove top. So to cook on Instant Pot – Divide the cook time by half and minus one for al dente pasta.So its 4 minutes.For softer pasta do 5 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, Quick Release the pressure manually.Open the lid, drain if there is any extra water.
Make the Avocado Sauce:
Put the avocado, lemon juice , oil ,garlic, spinach ,green chilli ,salt, pepper and water in to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.Start with 1/4 cup of water and add more as needed to get the consistency you want.
Add the avocado sauce to the pot, and then mix until evenly coated and serve immediately. This pasta is best served within 2-3 hours it is made, as it uses avocados which will turn a brownish color.
Sprinkle over some chilli flakes and top with parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT.
- You can use basil instead of spinach in the avocado sauce.
- You can also add 2 tablespoon of greek yogurt while making sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese also can be added while making avocado spinach sauce.
- Make it more healthy by adding boiled sweet corn ,steamed broccoli and cherry tomato to this dish.
- You can use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic.
- Use any kind of pasta’s.Try using Whole wheat ,Lentils or Veggie pasta for kids to make it gluten free.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Avocado sauce should not be too thick else after mixing pasta they become dry when eaten later.
- The time to cook pasta in instant pot is usually half of the suggested time on the pasta box and minus one for al dente pasta.
- Make sure you have enough water to cover most of the pasta under water.Depending on the shape and size of pasta you may need more or less liquids.BURN ALERT ? If your instant pot has shown BURN in the past, add 1/2 cup of extra water while making the pasta.
Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 35.7g | Protein: 7.5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2.8g | Sodium: 136mg | Potassium: 359mg | Sugar: 0.4g | Vitamin A: 905IU | Vitamin C: 9.1mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 1.8mg