Steaming Broccoli in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker is a perfect way of cooking crunchy, tender broccoli in just a few minutes. This instant pot steamed broccoli help to retain nutrients and get the perfect bright green color and right texture to the vegetable.
- Health Benefits of Broccoli
- Why Steam Broccoli in an Instant pot?
- How to Steam Broccoli in Instant Pot
- Steaming Broccoli in the Microwave
- Serving Suggestions
- Storage Suggestions
- Tips on perfectly Steamed Broccoli
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Broccoli Recipes
- More Instant Pot Basic Series
- Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
Broccoli is an edible green plant in the cabbage family whose large flowering head and stalk are eaten as a vegetable. It is one of the world’s healthiest foods.
Steaming broccoli is one of the best ways to cook it, as it helps to retain certain vitamins and minerals.
Cooking broccoli in the Instant Pot is the fastest and easiest way to get tender, but not mushy broccoli and works well for meal prep.
Health Benefits of Broccoli
Broccoli vegetable has several health benefits.
- Packed with protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. - (Source)
- Broccoli contains multiple potent antioxidants that may support healthy cells and tissues throughout your body. - (Source)
- Broccoli provides an excellent source of vitamin C, a nutrient known to support a healthy immune response. - (Source)
Why Steam Broccoli in an Instant pot?
- Cooks under 5 minutes
- Tender crisp, and retains its bright green color.
- It preserves both nutrients and flavor
- Perfect for make-ahead & meal planning
- Vegan, Gluten-free, Low-carb, Paleo, Keto & Dairy-free
- Broccoli: You need a medium size head of broccoli. You can also use store-bought pre-cut broccoli florets or frozen ones.
- Water: It is necessary to bring the cooker to pressure for cooking the Broccoli.
- Seasoning: Salt & pepper to taste
How to Steam Broccoli in Instant Pot
Firstly, wash and cut the broccoli into florets. Spread the florets in a layer on the steamer basket.
Then add water into the instant pot insert. Place the trivet and then the steamer basket in the instant pot insert.
Close the lid on the Instant Pot, and turn the pressure valve to the SEALING position. Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure).
set the timer to 0 minute for crunchier tender broccoli OR
You can set the timer to 1 minute for softer tender broccoli
When the instant pot beeps, Quick Release the pressure manually.
Open the lid. If you think broccoli is perfectly cooked, to avoid overcooking, you can remove the steamer basket and place it under cold running water.
Lastly, sprinkle some salt and black pepper and serve instant pot pressure cooker steamed broccoli.
Steaming Broccoli in the Microwave
To steam broccoli in the microwave, add broccoli florets along with ¼ cup of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes. Check the broccoli for doneness, if it's not tender, cook for 1-2 minutes more.
Serve your Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli with a little salt & black pepper. Here are a few more ways to use them.
- Squeeze some lemon juice, and sprinkle salt, pepper for seasoning.
- Add them to salads, stir-fries, and pasta such as alfredo pasta.
- Use them to make tandoori broccoli, or broccoli dill salad.
- Leftovers can be used to make broccoli spinach soup.
- Store: Store the leftovers for up to 3-5 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Freeze: You can freeze the cooked broccoli florets for between 6-9 months in a freezer-safe container. Keep in mind the texture changes once thawed.
- Reheat: You can reheat it in the microwave until warm.
Tips on perfectly Steamed Broccoli
- Double the recipe: You can easily double or triple this recipe, but cook on high pressure for 1 minute instead of zero minutes.
- Quick Pressure Release: Make sure to do a Quick Release as soon as the cooking time ends, to avoid over-cooked broccoli florets.
- Frozen Broccoli: You can use frozen broccoli in this recipe.
- Seasonings: Add salt, pepper, and any other seasonings after the pressure cooking to ensure it becomes tender.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can steam broccoli in an Instant Pot pressure cooker with or without a steamer basket. I have used a steel steamer basket that comes along with the Instant Pot packing.
But if you don't have a steamer basket, just put broccoli florets in the inner pot and ½ cup of water and follow the steps. But I highly recommend using a steamer basket to get perfectly crunchy and tender broccoli.
Steaming Frozen Broccoli in the instant pot also takes 0 Minutes on "Pressure Cook/Manual (High)" followed by quick release to get perfect tender broccoli.
More Broccoli Recipes
- Broccoli Spinach Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Air Fryer Roasted Broccoli
- Broccoli Potato Stir Fry
- Broccoli 65
- Paneer Broccoli Paratha
- Broccoli Besan Stir Fry
More Instant Pot Basic Series
- Boil Potatoes
- Green Beans
- Cook Chickpeas (Soak & No-Soak Method)
- One Minute Quinoa
- How to Cook Beets
- How to Cook Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Cauliflower
Checkout the complete guide on Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables from my blog.
If you’ve tried this easy Instant pot steamed broccoli recipe or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
Measuring cup used ,1 cup = 250ml
- 1 medium broccoli head
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
Instant Pot Method:
- Wash and chop the broccoli into florets.Spread the florets in layer on the steamer basket.
- Add water into the instant pot insert.Place the trivet and then the steamer basket in the instant pot insert.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure).Set timer to 0 minute for crunchier tender broccoli ORSet timer to 1 minute for softer tender broccoli When the instant pot beeps, Quick Release the pressure manually. Open the lid.
- Sprinkle some salt and black pepper and serve.