Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is super creamy, cheesy, and can be made in just 4 minutes with your electric pressure cooker.
My daughter loves pasta and this pasta is so cheesy , yummy and easy to make under 15 minutes.Do try this recipe and write in your comments.
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT.
MORE PASTA RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
WHAT CHEESE TO USE FOR MACARONI AND CHEESE
I have used combo of sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheese for this recipe.Sharp cheddar is always the best cheese to start with for macaroni and cheese.But you can use just cheddar alone or feel free to use your family’s favorite cheese combination.
Use good cheese. Mac and Cheese is more creamy and melts smoothly if you buy a cheese block and shred it yourself ,than using a already packaged, shredded cheese.
CAN YOU BAKE THIS?
YES! You can just grease you baking dish and sprinkle some extra cheese on top of mac and cheese.This is a good way to repurpose leftover mac and cheese.
HOW LONG CAN I STORE?
Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Use a combination of cheeses for the best taste. I used a mixture of sharp cheddar, mozzarella.
I used regular whole milk.But if you not too worried about calories then you can also use 12 oz of evaporated milk (1.5 cups) or 1 cup of heavy whipping cream or 1/2 cup of whole milk and 1/2 cup of cream.
You can also add small chunks of pineapple to make Hawaiian style pineapple mac and cheese.
You can also some some broccoli to make it more healthy.
The time to cook mac and cheese in Instant pot is usually half of the suggested time on the pasta box.
Always stir in milk or cream, cheese etc after the pressure cooking cycle.
You’ll need 4 cups of water for this recipe.For best flavor you can use vegetable broth.
Also check my Kids Lunch Box Series Posts
MAC & CHEESE INGREDIENTS
To make this simple and best mac & cheese recipe, you will need only a few basic ingredients:
- Uncooked Elbow Macaroni (about 4 cups)
- Vegetable Broth or water
- Garlic Powder
- Dry mustard powder (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Sharp or Mild)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Whole Milk (can also use heavy cream or evaporated milk)
HOW TO MAKE MAC AND CHEESE IN INSTANT POT
Add pasta to instant pot. Add water/broth, butter ,salt stir well to combine. Close instant pot lid and turn valve to SEALING position. Set on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) for 4 minutes(or half the time on the macaroni cooking directions).
When time is up, do a QUICK RELEASE. Add the milk, cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper stir constantly until cheese is melted and everything is combined then serve immediately.
***If mac and cheese hasn’t thickened completely, turn pot to saute mode and cook for a few minutes while stirring. This should thicken up any remaining liquid OR if you want it to be more creamy add more milk or cream.
MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 16 ounces Uncooked Elbow Macaroni (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth or water
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dry mustard powder (optional)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Sharp or Mild)
- 3/4-1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Whole Milk (can also use heavy cream or evaporated milk)
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- Add pasta to instant pot. Add water/broth, butter ,salt stir well to combine. Close instant pot lid and turn valve to SEALING position. Set on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) for 4 minutes(or half the time on the macaroni cooking directions).
- When time is up, do a QUICK RELEASE. Add the milk, cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper stir constantly until cheese is melted and everything is combined then serve immediately.