The Spinach Pasta recipe is an easy, healthy, and delicious pasta covered in a creamy spinach sauce everyone will love. A favorite for both kids and adults, and a great option for gatherings or kids lunch box.
Creamy Spinach Pasta is a quick, delicious pasta recipe with wholesome spinach added to it along with fresh cream and cheese. This recipe is so easy to make and you can use any other type of pasta like macaroni or penne. You can serve this as a main course dish to go with any other Italian dish or can eat all by itself.
This recipe is the perfect example of how you can hide veggies in food to trick the kids into eating them otherwise, they wouldn’t touch a bowl full of spinach
Health Benefits of Spinach
Spinach has so many health benefits. It’s loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. It is not only high in iron but rich in vitamins A and C. Eating spinach may benefit eye health, reduce oxidative stress, help prevent cancer, and reduce blood pressure levels. - Source Healthline
This recipes is Perfect for?
- Kids lunch box or when making a lunch or dinner in a hurry.
- The dish is packed full of vitamins and other nutrients.
- Using few ingredients which is an economical meal
Also check my Kids Lunch Box Series Posts
How to Make Creamy Spinach Pasta
Firstly, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add some salt to the water and cook the pasta, according to the package instructions. I used Farfalle, but you can use your favorite pasta. Other good pasta options are penne, spaghetti, or even tortellini!
While the pasta is cooking, make the spinach puree. I took 3-4 cups of raw spinach in a blender along with ½ cup of water. Blended to make a puree.
Reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water before draining the pasta. The pasta water contains starches that will help the spinach stick to the pasta and makes the spinach sauce extra creamy.
Then, heat olive oil in a pan on medium flame. Add minced garlic and saute for 30 secs.
Next add spinach puree & sauté it for about 2-3 minutes till raw smell of the spinach goes away.
Add in the cream or homemade white sauce, salt, black pepper powder & oregano. Give a quick stir and cook for a minute.
Follow it by adding boiled Farfalle Pasta. Give it a quick mix and stir fry on high flame for another 1 minute and pasta in spinach sauce is ready.
Serve in a plate and sprinkle some cheese over it for garnish.
What to serve with Creamy Spinach Pasta
You can enjoy a big bowl of healthy Creamy Spinach Pasta and call it a meal, but if you want to go all out, the following foods go great with spinach pasta!
- If you don’t have olive oil, you can either use butter or regular cooking oil.
- You can use any kind of pasta or even Zucchini noodles for a low-carb option.
- Try using Whole wheat, Lentils, or Veggie pasta for kids.
- If you don’t have cream at home you can replace it with the same amount of mayonnaise or full-fat milk or Alfredo white sauce.
- You can also add sweet corn for this healthy spinach pasta, which goes well with spinach.
- If you dont have time to prepare spinach puree, you can just use finely chopped spinach.
- You can also add cheese to the Pasta while cooking.
- Pasta sauce should not be too thick else after mixing pasta they become dry when eaten later.
- The sauce will seem thin when you start to mix in the pasta. Don’t worry, just keep tossing. The starches from the pasta will mix into the sauce to give a perfect consistency.
More Pasta recipes
Creamy Spinach Pasta
measuring cup used ,1 cup = 250ml
- 1.5 cup Boiled whole wheat or multi grain Farfalle Pasta (1 Cup Raw Farfalle Pasta)
- 1 cup Spinach Puree (made from 3-4 cups of raw spinach (i dint blanch spinach in this recipe)
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoon Fresh cream or whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon processed Cheese grated ,(i used amul brand)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- salt to taste
Stove Top Pan Method:
- Heat Olive oil in a pan on medium flame.Add minced garlic and saute for 30 secs.
- Next add spinach puree & sauté it for about 2-3 minutes till raw smell of the spinach goes away.
- Add in the cream ,salt, black pepper powder & oregano. Give a quick stir and cook for a minute.
- Follow it by adding boiled Farfalle Pasta. Give it a quick mix and stir fry on high flame for another 1 minute and pasta is ready.
- Serve in a plate and sprinkle some cheese over it for garnish.
- If you don’t have olive oil, you can use butter or regular cooking oil as well.
- You can use any kind of pasta’s or even Zucchini noodles for low carb option.
- Try using Whole wheat ,Lentils or Veggie pasta for kids.
- If you don’t have cream at home you can replace with same amount of mayonnaise or full fat milk or Alfredo white sauce.
- You can also add sweet corn for this pasta.Goes well with spinach.
- If you dont have time prepare spinach puree, you can just use finely chopped spinach.
- Adjust the salt and pepper as per your preference.