Dalia/Broken wheat Pulao/Upma or Bulgur Pilaf is a healthy, nutritious, high in iron and fiber meal made in the Instant Pot Pressure cooker or Stovetop. Serve dalia upma along with raita for a simple weekday lunch. Suitable for both adults and kids and a great lunchbox option too.
In North India, it is known by the name Dalia. It is also referred to as cracked wheat or samba rava or broken wheat or godhuma rava
If you dont have Instant Pot, you can make this bulgur pilaf recipe in a regular stovetop Indian pressure cooker. Follow the same steps and Pressure cook the Dalia pulao for four whistles and turn off the flame. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
Is Bulgur Wheat and Broken Wheat the same?
No, Bulgur wheat is different from broken or cracked wheat.
Bulgur (also called bulgar or bulghur) is a wheat product made from whole wheat grains that have been cleaned, steamed/parboiled, dried/toasted, and then cracked/ground/crushed/cut into grains of several distinct sizes (typically available in four grain sizes: fine, medium, coarse and whole).
Cracked wheat is similar other than it is not usually precooked (steamed or parboiled). Cracked wheat is a wheat product made from whole wheat grains that have been cracked/ground/crushed/cut into smaller pieces.
Can I substitute Bulgur for Broken Wheat?
Sometimes bulgur is incorrectly labeled as broken/cracked wheat. However, both look alike and can be substituted for each other: bulgur is precooked, so it may need less cooking time than cracked wheat.
Is Broken Wheat good for Diabetics?
For people with diabetes, doctors always suggest foods in their original form that have their natural fiber intact. These include broken wheat (dalia), whole grains, dals that have their skin still on, all types of fibrous grains, especially ragi, jowar, and bajra.
How to Make Instant Pot Broken Wheat Pulao/Dalia Pulao
Press SAUTE (Normal) on Instant Pot. Add oil in to the POT. Once POT is hot, add in the cumin, green chilies. Saute for 20 secs.
Add the chopped onions, minced ginger-garlic. Saute till onions turn light brown.
Then add tomato and cook for 2-3 minutes till tomato turns soft.
Then add mixed vegetables, cook for a minute.
Add turmeric, garam masala, coriander powder, broken wheat, salt, and water and mix well.
Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to Sealing. Cook on High Pressure for 7 minutes.
Once the pot beeps, Wait for NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE (NPR).
Add cilantro, juice of half lemon, and mix well. Instant pot Broken wheat pulao or dalia upma is ready, serve with yogurt, raita.
Check out my other Pulao Recipes
Instant Pot Broken Wheat Pulao|Dalia Pulao
- Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup Broken wheat/Bulgur Wheat/Dalia/Cracked Wheat
- 1 medium sized Onion finely chopped
- 1 small Tomato chopped
- 2 Green chilies chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced Ginger-garlic
- 2 cups Mixed vegetables(carrots,bean,green peas,broccoli)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin/Jeera seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- juice of half lemon
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro/Coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 cups Water
- salt as per taste
- Press SAUTE mode(Normal) on Instant Pot. Add oil in to the POT.
- Once POT is hot add in the Cumin/Jeera,green chillies.Saute for 20 secs.
- Add the chopped onions,minced ginger-garlic .Saute till onions turn light brown in color.
- Then add tomato and cook for 2-3 minutes till tomato turns soft.
- Then add mixed vegetables,cook for a minute.
- Add turmeric,garam masala,coriander powder ,broken wheat,salt and water and mix well.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.
- Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 5 minutes.
- Wait for NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE(NPR)(Wait until silver button on lid drops).
- Once the pressure has released, open the lid,add cilantro, juice of half lemon and mix well.
- Broken wheat pulao is ready, serve with yogurt,raita.
Stove Top Pressure Cooker Method
- Follow the same steps as instant pot till step 6 and Pressure cook the pulao for 4 whistles on medium-high flame and turn off the flame. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.