Dalia/Broken wheat Pulao or Bulgur Pilaf is a healthy ,nutritious ,high in iron and fiber meal made in the Instant Pot Pressure cooker or Stove top.Serve it along with raita for a simple weekday lunch.Good for both adults and kids and great lunchbox option too.
In North India it is known by name Dalia. It is also referred as cracked wheat or samba rava or broken wheat or godhuma rava
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
If you dont have Instant Pot you can make this bulgur pilaf recipe in regular stove top indian pressure cooker .Follow the same steps and Pressure cook the dalia pulao for 4 whistles and turn off the flame. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
IS BULGUR WHEAT AND BROKEN WHEAT THE SAME?
No ,Bulgur wheat is different to broken or cracked wheat.
Bulgur (also called bulgar or bulghur) is a wheat product made from whole wheat grains that have been cleaned, steamed/parboiled, dried/toasted and then cracked/ground/crushed/cut into grains of several distinct sizes (typically available in four grain sizes: fine, medium, coarse and whole).
Cracked wheat is similar other than it is not usually precooked (steamed or parboiled). Cracked wheat is a wheat product made from whole wheat grains that have been cracked/ground/crushed/cut into smaller pieces.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE BULGUR FOR BROKEN WHEAT?
Sometimes bulgur is incorrectly labeled as broken/cracked wheat.Both look alike and can be substituted for each other: bulgur is precooked so may need less cooking time compared to cracked wheat.
IS BROKEN WHEAT GOOD FOR DIABETICS?
For diabetics, doctors always suggest the foods in their original form that have their natural fibre intact. These include broken wheat (dalia), whole grains, dals that have their skin still on, all types of fibrous grains, especially ragi ,jowar and bajra.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BROKEN WHEAT PULAO/DALIA PULAO
1.Press SAUTE mode(Normal) on Instant Pot. Add oil in to the POT.Once POT is hot add in the Cumin/Jeera, green chillies. Saute for 20 secs.
2.Add the chopped onions, minced ginger-garlic .Saute till onions turn light brown in color.
3.Then add tomato and cook for 2-3 minutes till tomato turns soft.
4.Then add mixed vegetables, cook for a minute.
5.Add turmeric, garam masala, coriander powder ,broken wheat, salt and water and mix well.
6.Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.
7.Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 5 minutes.Wait for NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE(NPR).Once the pressure has released, open the lid.
8.Add cilantro, juice of half lemon and mix well.Instant pot Broken wheat pulao or bulgur pilaf is ready, serve with yogurt, raita.
CHECKOUT MY OTHER PULAO RECIPES
INSTANT POT BROKEN WHEAT PULAO/DALIA PULAO RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Instant Pot Broken Wheat Pulao|Dalia Pulao
- Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup Broken wheat/Bulgur Wheat/Dalia/Cracked Wheat
- 1 medium sized Onion finely chopped
- 1 small Tomato chopped
- 2 Green chilies chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced Ginger-garlic
- 2 cups Mixed vegetables(carrots,bean,green peas,broccoli)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin/Jeera seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- juice of half lemon
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro/Coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 cups Water
- salt as per taste
- Press SAUTE mode(Normal) on Instant Pot. Add oil in to the POT.
- Once POT is hot add in the Cumin/Jeera,green chillies.Saute for 20 secs.
- Add the chopped onions,minced ginger-garlic .Saute till onions turn light brown in color.
- Then add tomato and cook for 2-3 minutes till tomato turns soft.
- Then add mixed vegetables,cook for a minute.
- Add turmeric,garam masala,coriander powder ,broken wheat,salt and water and mix well.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.
- Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 5 minutes.
- Wait for NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE(NPR)(Wait until silver button on lid drops).
- Once the pressure has released, open the lid,add cilantro, juice of half lemon and mix well.
- Broken wheat pulao is ready, serve with yogurt,raita.
Stove Top Pressure Cooker Method
- Follow the same steps as instant pot till step 6 and Pressure cook the pulao for 4 whistles on medium-high flame and turn off the flame. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.