Nutritious and protein-packed Millet Salad recipe made with foxtail millet grains, chickpeas, and a medley of colorful vegetables. Vegan and Gluten-free.
Trying to lose weight? Salads are the most satisfying meal. It is the ideal meal to keep a calorie count and satisfy our tummies. Though we can find it difficult to get used to its tastes, finding the ideal texture, flavor, and mix becomes simple once we discover the flavors we can experiment with.
A nutritious bowl of salad does definitely become a go-to dinner if we get in the habit of eating it! Here, we bring you just the right kind of salad for you all. It has both taste and health loaded in itself. It is called a Millet Salad. Best part? It has chickpeas, too.
In addition to being a good source of fiber, copper, calcium, iron, manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium, this dish is also free of gluten and readily absorbed by the body. These are all advantageous to diabetics since they digest slowly and do not raise blood sugar levels quickly.
Millet Salad Ingredients
- Millet: I used foxtail millet in this recipe. You can any millet like little millet, kodo millet or barnyard millet. Note: I did not soak the millet before cooking in this recipe. Here is the detailed recipe, How to cook Millet in the Instant Pot.
- Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans): Canned or cooked chickpeas can be used. If using canned, drain and rinse it. I have cooked the dried chickpeas using Instant Pot Chickpeas method.
- Vegetables: I used veggies like cucumber, colored bell peppers, and carrots, in this recipe, but feel free to add other veggies of your choice.
- Fresh herbs: I used only coriander leaves. You may also add some mint leaves.
- Lemon juice: Be sure to use fresh lemon/lime juice if you can, which has the best flavor and adds a bit of tang.
- Garlic: Optional. Use freshly minced garlic for the best flavor.
- Olive oil: Good quality extra virgin olive oil works best.
- Seasoning: salt, black pepper.
How to Make Foxtail Millet Salad
Prepare The Dressing
In a small jar, add all the dressing ingredients like olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Whisk to combine.
Add cooked foxtail millet, chickpeas, cucumber, carrot, bell peppers, coriander leaves to a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the salad ingredients. Toss well to combine.
Top it with your favorite nuts and seeds of your choice if desired, and serve immediately. Or cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Enjoy!
Make Ahead and Storage
- Make-Ahead: You can cook the millets and chickpeas up to 2 days in advance and refrigerate them in an airtight container until you are ready to use.
- Storage: Leftover millet and chickpea salad will be kept in the refrigerator for 2 when stored in an airtight container. After that, the flavors will start to fade.
Tips to Make Millet Chickpeas Salad
- Rinse the millet under running water before cooking it.
- Cool the millet before adding it to the salad. Otherwise, warm millet will wilt the fresh veggies and lose their freshness.
- Use Fresh Herbs. Fresh herbs add so much more flavor than dried ones.
More Millet Recipes
- Little Millet Upma
- Millet Fried Rice
- Bajra (Pearl Millet) Khichdi
- Little Millet Lemon Rice
- Kodo Millet Pulao
- Ragi Malt
More Salad Recipes
- Chickpea Cucumber Salad
- Sprouted Moong Salad
- Avocado Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Quinoa Chickpea Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Boiled Peanut Salad
If you’ve tried this healthy millet salad recipe or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Foxtail Millet Salad
- ½ cup cooked foxtail millet
- ¼ cup chickpeas cooked or canned
- 2 tablespoons cucumber finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons carrot finely chopped
- ¼ cup colored bell pepper finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons coriander leaves finely chopped
- In a small jar, add all the dressing ingredients like olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add cooked foxtail millet, chickpeas, cucumber, carrot, bell peppers, coriander leaves to a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the salad ingredients. Toss well to combine.
- Top it with your favorite nuts and seeds of your choice if desired and serve immediately. Or cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Enjoy!