Ash Gourd (Winter Melon) Juice recipe is one of the healthiest Indian summer drinks: cool, refreshing, highly nutritious, low in calories, high in fiber and water content. It is also known as Safed Petha Juice in Hindi.
Ash gourds are very common in the South Indian Kitchen. Growing up, my Mom and Grandmom made Sambar, Majjige Huli, Curries, Raita, and Dessert (also known as Kashi/Dumroot halwa) using Ash gourd.
The famous North Indian dessert from Agra, known as Petha is made from it. In other countries, it is also used in making soups, curries, smoothies, etc.
This ash gourd fruit is considered very auspicious in South India, it is generally hung in front of new homes or gates as it creates positive vibrations and clears the negative energy.
Recently, I learned about Ash Gourd and its enormous Health Benefits. As Recommended by Sadhguru, It's the highly pranic food or positive Satvik food on earth. It is one of nature's superfoods.
Today I am sharing the Ash Gourd Juice recipe, one of the best Indian summer drinks with cooling properties, highly nutritious, and hydrating. It is a great detoxifying juice as it flushes out toxins from our bodies and aids in weight loss.
It's best to consume a glass of ash gourd juice every day in the morning on an empty stomach. However, If you want to drink daily in your diet, please consult your local physician or nutritionist before starting.
What is Ash Gourd?
Ash gourd, also known as Benincasa hispida, winter melon, wax gourd, white melon, white gourd, and Chinese melon, is a vine-grown vegetable native to parts of South Asian countries (India, China, Nepal, and Sri Lanka).
It is generally available in dark green or pale green rinds. If you are looking for a ripe ash gourd, look for the ash gourd with skin that is whitish green in color.
What does ash gourd juice taste like?
The juice doesn't have any taste and is very bland similar to cucumber. It is recommended to drink pure ash gourd juice to get full benefits.
To elevate the flavors, you can also add lime/lemon juice, salt, and pepper. If you give it to the kids, mix it with some coconut water to make it slightly sweet.
Other Indian names of Ash Gourd are
- Hindi - Safed Petha/Kaddu
- Kannada - Boodu Kumbalakai/Budekumbalakayi
- Tamil - Neer Poosanikai
- Telugu - Boodida Gummadikaaya
- Marathi – Kohla
- Bengali - Chal Kumro
- Punjabi - Petha
- Assamese - Komora
- Uttar Pradesh - Kumra
- Gujarati - Rakhodi Kolun
Health Benefits of Ash Gourd
Ash Gourd has several health benefits.
- Comprises 96% water, low in calories, fat, protein, and carbs.
- Rich in fiber.
- It acts as a coolant and cools the body.
- Flushes out the toxins from the body.
- Improves digestion
- Increase energy levels
- Protects the heart
Ash Gourd Juice Ingredients
- Ash gourd (winter melon) - choose a gourd that has dark or pale green rind, firm, and heavy for its size. Avoid the ones with cracks and bruises.
- Lime juice (or lemon juice): use freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice for a slight tang.
- Seasoning - ground black pepper & Himalayan pink salt (or regular salt).
How to Make Ash Gourd/Winter Melon Juice
Wash and cut the ash gourd. Next, remove the large seeds and center soft part of the ash gourd. Peel the outer skin and dice it into ½ inch pieces.
Using a Blender
Transfer the diced ash gourd, water into a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
Strain the juice through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl, or jug. Press the pulp with a spoon to extract all the juice.
Then add lime juice, a pinch of salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
Mix well and serve immediately.
Using a Juicer
Put the diced ash gourd pieces into your juicer chute one at a time.
Collect the juice, squeeze some lime juice, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Dilute it with some water if desired, and enjoy immediately!
It is highly recommended to consume the ash gourd juice within 15 minutes of making it to get full nutritional benefits. However, you can store the leftover juice in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Variations & Substitutions
- Plain: You may also just drink plain ash gourd juice without adding lime juice, salt, and pepper for full health benefits.
- Mint and Ginger: You can also add mint leaves and some ginger to the blender.
- Coconut water: You can add tender coconut water to the ash gourd juice to make it sweet and flavorful.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can find fresh ash gourds in most Asian supermarkets and International farmer's markets. Most of the Indian grocery stores in the USA sell cut pieces.
No, ash gourd juice should be consumed immediately as it loses nutrient value when stored.
Ash gourd juice provides a cooling effect as it is alkaline in nature.
If you have a whole ash gourd, it will keep for up to 2-3 months when stored in a cool and dry area.
The cut pieces/wedges of ash gourd can be stored for 4-5 days in the refrigerator when they are you
wrapped in a cling wrap or moist paper towel.
Ash gourd is available in the dark green or pale green rind. If you are looking for a ripe gourd, ensure it's whitish green in color. Also, make sure the gourd has smooth skin, is firm to hold, and free from cracks and blemishes.
More Beverage Recipes
- Mango Lassi
- Banana Juice
- Avocado Banana Smoothie
- Watermelon Juice with Lime
- Strawberry Orange Juice
- Golden Turmeric Milk
- Strawberry Juice
- Cantaloupe (Muskmelon) Juice
If you’ve tried this healthy ash gourd juice recipe or any other recipe on Indian Veggie Delight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Ash Gourd/Winter Melon Juice
Measuring cup used [1 cup = 250ml]
- 2 cups ash gourd (winter melon) (about 500 grams)
- ½ cup water
- ½ lime (or lemon), juiced
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- himalayan pink salt (or black salt), to taste
- Wash and cut the ash gourd. Next, remove the large seeds and center soft part of the ash gourd. Peel the outer skin and dice it into ½ inch pieces.
Using a Blender
- Transfer the diced ash gourd, water into a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Strain the juice through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl, or jug. Press the pulp with a spoon to extract all the juice.
- Then add lime juice, a pinch of salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Mix well and serve immediately.
Using a Juicer
- Put the diced ash gourd pieces into your juicer chute one at a time.
- Collect the juice, squeeze some lime juice, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Dilute it with some water if desired, and enjoy immediately!
Tips & Variations
- Consume the winter melon juice within 15 minutes of its preparation else it will lose the nutrient value.
- You may also just drink plain ash gourd juice without the addition of lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- You can also add ginger and mint leaves to the blender for a variation.
Where can you get these ash gourd?
Bhavana Patil says
Its easily available in Indian grocery stores. Also in farmers market or asian stores sometimes.
Juice is always my favorite. On a hot day, a glass of juice can make me refreshed at once. Thanks for sharing this winter melon juice recipe with us. I would definitely try this at home.